Sign in with
Your question

Very slow boot after installing radeon 5670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2011 6:27:22 PM

Hello,
My graphics card broke down (geforce 9800 gtx+) and i had to buy another one. I bought Radeon 5670 and after i installed it a strange and disturbing thing happens. Everytime i turn on the computer, after i click the power button the screen stays black for about 40 sec. and then i hear one beep and computer boots normally as it always have with my previous graphics card.

My hardware:

Asus P5N-E SLI nVidia nForce 650i SLI
Intel Core2Quad Q6600
MSI Radeon 5670 1GB GDDR5
GeIL Dual 2x 1GB DDR2 800 MHz
Goodram 1x 2GB DDR2 800 MHz
Seagate 250 GB Barracuda ES x2 RAID
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Chieftec 550W

System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64

What should i do? I read somewhere that bios update could help, is it true? Do i really have to do that? Or could it be that maybe my new ati card is somehow not compatible with my nvidia chipset motherboard? I need some help, please give me some advice.

More about : slow boot installing radeon 5670

October 5, 2011 7:26:30 PM

did you uninstall the nvidia drivers and install the amd ones
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 7:28:57 PM

is your psu dying? 5670 should run on basically nothing (way less your previous GPU) but im just saying
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 7:30:39 PM

update your bios if you already have not and make sure the previous nvidia drivers are uninstalled and swept before you install the AMD ones, if you did not do that id uninstall and driver sweep your current install and do it fresh...

In my use when all else fails a fresh install of windows sometimes helps.... but i would try the above first
October 5, 2011 7:49:16 PM

Updating the bios would be the last thing on my list of things to do, unless you have found on the MOBO manufacturer page that there is a fix for a PCIe issue on that specific board. Updating the bios always presents a risk and should always be you last option(A+ troubleshooting 101)

What kind of time difference are we looking at here? I think someone else suggested removing the drivers from the previous GPU, although with W7 that rarely makes a difference. Its possible the new GPU could be bad. Does it work, can you game on it, is it giving you problems? Another big question would be, does it slow boot all the time? The first time you boot its going to take a minute as the OS is going to install the default VGA driver so that you can see the screen. After that it should be normal. Also if you have a highly intrusive Antivirus software that could be an issue as the new AV softwares like to scan IRQ channels and all kinds of other ridiculous things that don't help. Let me know what you find.

Cheers
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 7:54:45 PM

^LOL

really dude? ive updated my bios about 50 times on different rigs and never had a problem, the only problem if you ask me is if your machine turns off while its flashing.... otherwise if you dont like the new bios you can flash it back, personally I usually run the most updated bioses the latest one from MSI makes my current mobo run the forthcoming BD chips..

Furthermore previous drivers can easily interfere in W7 if not properly swept from the registry and uninstalled....

The things you are suggesting as problems are off base, what Troubleshooting 101 class did you take? University of Phoenix? :lol:  :bounce: 
October 5, 2011 8:23:29 PM

Comptia...actually, and Im not saying it's not ok to update your bios. I m saying don't use it as a troubleshooting tool. On the other hand its your mobo. Do what ever you wish. Every A+ book I have read has that recommendation in it, this includes 2006 and 2009. So the question should be what troubleshooting class did you take? or better yet do you even have your A+, not that it matters here. In either case I wish you both the best.

Cheers.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 8:26:41 PM

I do not

and A+ cert is no joke so obviously you know your stuff, do you have an undergrad or better in computer science?
October 5, 2011 8:41:10 PM

Well, if what he is actually saying is true, updating the BIOS may be his best bet.

Everytime i turn on the computer, after i click the power button the screen stays black for about 40 sec. and then i hear one beep and computer boots normally

This direct quote to me means that the issue occurs before the system ever even gets close to starting to load windows - which kind of negates a driver issue in my book.
October 5, 2011 8:56:46 PM

@we1shcake:
Well yes, after i put the graphics card into the motherboard i went to windows safe mode, uninstalled nvidia drivers, restarted and then installed amd drivers.

@jjb8675309:
I don't think my psu is dying, but i may be wrong. I will try reinstalling drivers and eventually i plan on reinstalling windows as well, but i am wondering: do drivers or system make any difference in the very first seconds when computer is booting?

@captjack5169:
The difference is about 40-50 seconds, but what troubles me is that it happens before anything else, i mean there is a 40 seconds time gap between pushing the power button and ANY reaction from the computer whatsoever! Well, fans are working and stuff, but the screen is black. And after these 40 seconds or so i hear beep and everything is as it should be, as it always was - the screen of my motherboard shows up (the one that is always at the very beginning) , windows loads up as fast as it has before, and i can play games ( i played Starcraft 2 on high details, high resolution for some time ).
And yes, it is happening every time i turn on or restart my computer.
About antivirus, i am using avast home edition.

Thank You all for Your replies! I really appreciate it. I see more and more suggestions on updating my bios so i think i will try it. I will let ou know if it helped.

October 5, 2011 9:15:10 PM

theawakenchild said:
@we1shcake:
Well yes, after i put the graphics card into the motherboard i went to windows safe mode, uninstalled nvidia drivers, restarted and then installed amd drivers.

@jjb8675309:
I don't think my psu is dying, but i may be wrong. I will try reinstalling drivers and eventually i plan on reinstalling windows as well, but i am wondering: do drivers or system make any difference in the very first seconds when computer is booting?

@captjack5169:
The difference is about 40-50 seconds, but what troubles me is that it happens before anything else, i mean there is a 40 seconds time gap between pushing the power button and ANY reaction from the computer whatsoever! Well, fans are working and stuff, but the screen is black. And after these 40 seconds or so i hear beep and everything is as it should be, as it always was - the screen of my motherboard shows up (the one that is always at the very beginning) , windows loads up as fast as it has before, and i can play games ( i played Starcraft 2 on high details, high resolution for some time ).
And yes, it is happening every time i turn on or restart my computer.
About antivirus, i am using avast home edition.

Thank You all for Your replies! I really appreciate it. I see more and more suggestions on updating my bios so i think i will try it. I will let ou know if it helped.

If it is happening in the POST, then yeah a bios update is your only option. Again, I would research it fully before commiting to it. Hope it works for you.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2011 9:34:32 PM

Replace your mobo battery with a brand new one
doesnt matter how long ago you replaced it
just for eliminating a factor in the diagnositics
they only cost $4
and a bad mobo battery can lead to alot of strange problems
this will also reset BIOS options to factory default
which is a good thing when troubleshooting
More than a few of my customers computers "worked" after resetting BIOS to
factory settings

basic diagnostics
1) replace mobo battery
2) reset BIOS to default settings

October 6, 2011 9:19:59 AM

I updated the bios and it helped! Problem solved. Thank you for help!
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 1:46:51 PM

so much for certs
!