Hello,
my specs:
Motherboard: msi nf980 g65
ram 6gb (3x2gb) kingston hyperx 2133
Processor: phenom ii 1100t
Graphics card: asus gtx 660 ti
Case: nzxt phantom full tower
cooling: corsair h100 push, 120mm rear push and 2 120mm side pull

Using hardware like speed-fan and openhardware one of my motherboard temps say its in the 90 degree celsius and the other 2 in the 30s. cpu in 20s, graphics card in 30s and harddrive in 30s degrees. this is when the computer is idle.
when under load most temp raise about 5 to 10 degrees.
i have touched around the motherboard and no where feels hot enough to be anywhere close to 90 degrees.
in hot weather or if i play sc2 on extreme(max) setting the computer reboots, this is very repeatable, but computer is usually fine at medium setting or if room temperature is low.

I think the temperature sensor on motherboard is broken, but at the same time i feel the motherboard's (temp regulator/modulator) is broken as at high setting fps/performance should decrease as opposed to restarting.

2 questions:
1. can this restart damage my other components.
2. should i buy the asus m5a97 r2.0

thanks in advance for ur reply :D

Smartman007

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
the 2 programs used gave identical temperature readings. i got the corsair h100 about 2 months ago which had pre-applied thermal paste and cpu temp is usually in the 20s or 30s degrees. i think the component in the motherboard that tells it to restart when temp is too high is broken. can someone confirm if such a fault can occur?