New Card - Use the older one(s)?

x82nd

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I recently started having issues with my GTX 285 (sudden loss of picture to both monitors) and ordered a new GTX 570. My question is should: I keep my spare Gforce 210 (which I bought a while ago when I used a hodpog 3 monitors and consider from time to time again) in with the newer card? Would it offer any benefit?

I primary game (Eq2, Arkham, Skyrim) and use them for having multiple monitors so I am not sure if it is worth the added heat or power. Any advice or information would be most appreciated.

x82nd

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I wasn't sure if using it to power my secondary monitors might take some work off of the main. I had even wondered about keeping the 285 in until it starts acting up more frequently, but have no clue if there is any benefit to that over the 210.

x82nd

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

That is a good question, I know I have heard the technique mentioned before but don't know the requirements.

x82nd

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
That makes sense, and in itself doesn't seem suddenly worth the power drain... That said... would there be any benefit to the 210 being in there or does having a monitor or two extra pulling off the main card not have that much of a drain?

Thanks for all the information!

Having chrome open would not task it much but movie could to the point that the GT210 for that sounds reasonable. Although I have yet to figure out how to game and watch a movie at the same time without missing half of this and the other.

it works better with monotonous games like mmorpgs where grinding gold can be tedious :D