My planned $1,100 Setup. What do you think?

blackwaterpark

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Very soon, unless there are any final revisions I can make to my setup. It all depends on what responses I get here.

Budget Range: $1,200 TOPS. $1,200 is really pushing it for me and I'd rather stay at $1,100 or below.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: High resolution photo editing, Video editing, Gaming, Movies & Music, Typical Internet Browsing.

Parts Not Required: Peripherals, such as monitors, mice, keyboards, printers etc.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I love Amazon with a passion + I get free two day shipping there. I've had positive experiences with TigerDirect & have never bought from Newegg but I am totally up for it seeing their reasonable prices & shipping.

Parts Preferences: I've had both Intel & AMD based computers. They both have worked great for me. I'm leaning more towards Intel with the more research I do.

Overclocking: Maybe in the future, I'm not up to this task yet.

SLI or Crossfire: Probably so, when funds allow.

Monitor Resolution: I don't need any advice here, thanks.

Additional Comments: I had posted a thread earlier with my original build plan with an AMD FX Bulldozer Quad Core 4100 processor. Turns out the i5 would suit my needs better as a photographer and light gamer. With all the revisions I made to that thread, going along it with peoples advice & such, it turned out to be quite a messy thread. This is just a final, more eye friendly review of what I have in mind before I pull the trigger and purchase this setup.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The planned rig setup:

CPU:

Intel Core i5-2500k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

I was originally looking at an AMD setup with a new AMD FX Bulldozer 4100 Quad-Core Processor, but thanks to some words from people here I learned that it might not suit my needs as a photographer, video editor and gamer. The i5 is quite a bit costlier, but I am now convinced it will be worth it. I'd rather not look into the i7, it's even more costlier and I don't need a super computer, just something that will survive a few years in the ever progressing world of computers.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
GPU:

EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130610

I had originally settled on a ZOTAC AMP! ZT-50302-10M GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5, but once again was steered towards the EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5. I was told that for around $20 more I could expect better build quality as well as better support going with the EVGA.
Motherboard:

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271&Tpk=extreme3%20gen3&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=ugy70rlkbtxg

I'm pretty sure this is a solid choice for a MB. The previous one I had in mind was about $40 costlier, but didn't offer any important improvements over this cheaper MB.
Memory:

GeIL Enhance CORSA 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model GEC316GB1600C9QC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144488

I splurged a little bit here, and for no important reason. Call me crazy. I could get a similar 16GB setup for around $20 cheaper, but I just LOVE the orange heatsinks and it will match the orange and black case/cables/fans perfectly. I was told 16GB would be an ideal amount of RAM for heavy duty photo/video editing with 64 bit software. Also, this RAM isn't on the MB manufacturer's list of supported memory units... but it's stats fall within supported specs, right?. Maybe someone could help me out here.
Case

COUGAR Evolution Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Dual 12cm COUGAR TURBINE HYPER-SPIN Bearing Silent Fans
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553002

I chose this all by myself [Pats myself on back]. Seriously though, for the price I doubt this case can be beaten. It provides ample room, good cooling solutions and a great cable management system.
PSU

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021&Tpk=TX%20750

Settled on the 750W version to save some cash over my original choice of 850W. 750W should be enough to power SLI if I go through with it later on.
Hard Drive

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

Wow! That seems like a complete rip-off, but it's still one of the cheapest internal 1TB HDD's. I had no idea they were so expensive.
Others:

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118067

Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port / Extra Silver Face Plate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820223103

Windows 7 Home 64 Bit OS.

That's about it. I hope I didn't bore you todeath with my long post, but I wanted to give you an idea of what's going through my head. This is a large investment for me. Any input/recommendations are greatly appreciated!

mrwhit30ut

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Yea, The hard drives are on a huge shortage right now because of flooding in, "country i can't remember right now". If you wait a little, you should see the prices go back down. I don't know if you saw the new 560 ti, it has 448 cores, like the 570 for a little less.

MSI GTX 560ti

MSI is a company I really like, they have really well build hardware and their CS is pretty good also. But their twin frozr cards are some of the best cooling available.

blackwaterpark

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hey, thanks a lot guys! I'm glad you brought that card to my attention. I see that it could take full advantage of my current planned setup and it's not too pricey. I'll definitely be looking into it a bit more. Also, about the specific RAM I have chosen... It should be compatible with my setup, right? I know this sounds like a total newbie question, but I didn't find that specific model number in the Mobo's list of supported memory units. I want things to go together with the least hassle possible, so maybe I'm a bit over-paranoid. Thanks again for your inputs.

blackwaterpark

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Hi! That's more reassuring news. I feel like I have FINALLY, with the help of many kind people found a good setup for ~$1,100.

mrwhit30ut

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
There is alot of ram out there, and though I've herd of giel but never used it, they should work, and look sweet. The only reason i could see them not working is if they didn't fit the slot. I build lots of computers for my friends, its really hard to get non compatible ram, just make sure it is 240 pin DDR3. Also make sure you motherboard has four memory slots. The reason I like the 560 ti so much is because it has so much Overclocking potential and with the newer 448 cores, who knows what someone can get it to.

blackwaterpark

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Good to know. It is indeed 240 pin DDR3 RAM, and the Mobo has 4 slots, that's why I was assuming it would work fine. I just found it odd that it wasn't listed on the Mobo's list of supported memory units when it seemed like all other compatible RAM's were. Thanks again!

The QVL is a guide for ram that has been tested and will work with a specific motherboard but it is not a complete list and the companies do not test every ram set that is out there. I have used ram that is not on a motherboards QVL quite a bit and had absolutly no problems , but if you do use the ram that is on the QVL and you have a problem then the MB vender will help with tech support.

blackwaterpark

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

That's great to hear! Thanks for reassuring me on that.