Monitor goes into powersave mode with geforce gtx 295

Fallenis

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hello! I'm in quit a dilemma.

Here is the situation : I installed my new graphics (Gtx 295) and upgraded from the geforce 450. The new card gets enough power, is lined up correctly, I disabled the on board video card ( At least I think) in safe mode (no option in bios), cleared up CMOS, used the gtx 295 on my brothers computer ( which worked), uninstalled drivers (except for on board GPU, which I disabled via devices and hardware) but it my monitor still displays power save mode. This doesn't happen with the geforce 450, or my old ati card, but only my gtx 295 - which works perfectly on other computers. I think it has a problem recognizing it.

My system specs

Windows 7
4096 RAM
AMD athlon processor 2.9ghz two core
direct x 11
Asus m4a78lt-m le motherboard with onboard GPU
coolmax 700 watts cl series PSU

Also, when I boot up with the GTX 295, I can even here it logging into windows but I still don't see anything on the screen except entering powersave mode.

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Two things wrong here.

For starters, you can't have DirectX 11 with a GTX 296.

And secondly, I'd bet it's the PSU, that PSU is extremely bad, a tiny step up from a PS shaped object. The GTX 295 draws quite a bit of power as it's a Dual GPU card, and I wouldn't trust that GPU to power it.

Fallenis

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

Hm, is it possible to roll back? And for the PSU, my brother has the exact model, so I'm sure it would work.

macas01

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I think u don't need to rollback your DX, at least i have a dx9 card running win7 which comes with DX11, yours apps will just use DX9.

I know it's a silly question but does the bios set up appears and the windows logo ?
If yes, this is probably a resolution problem. Hit F8 and chose "Enable low resolution video 640x480"

If not even the bios and windows logo appears, it's probably your psu.

cya.

Fallenis

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hmm okay.

And no, it enters power save right away, like the computer does not recognize the new gpu. The Gtx 295 signals the greenlight too, which usually means enough power, but I'll try disconnecting some fans and see what happens. Also, according to the boot beeps I think it's signalling a video error from what I can tell. Thanks again.

Edit : After booting with the gtx 295 instead of the on board, it beeped once followed by a long beep, a short pause and then 8 beeps. Once again I got no signal on my monitor.