Travel Case HELP Needed

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
Alrighty, This first section is my ranting so feel free to skip to the next part of the post!

So i've built Computers for everyone in my family, Mom, Sis, couple friends, In-Laws and Wifes Grandma from 2 to 5 years ago and never a single hiccup or hardware related problem at all which is amazing and wonderful. So along comes Brother In-Law who lives out in Montana (I'm Minnesota) and a long story short, GUESS which computer out of all these is the one to have problems???? YEP! This Case is the NZXT Phantom which is AMAZING BTW but obnoxiously HUGE. We drove it out for Xmas gift and the box was subsequently tossed out and he's not very responsible when it comes to....well.... anything. so instead of shipping it home they wait until the next time the in-laws drive out there which means that after its brought home, the 1 year warranties have all expired, I mean they only had 8 months to take care of it! SO another driving trip that was coming up very soon turned into a flight which means that they are going to have a box made for this thing.

~~~~~~~~~The "NEXT PART" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a computer case that will fit on the airplane? (22"x14"x9") This is just the Case itself and does not include shipping packaging as i have shoulder strap/carrying case to strap to a case from my LAN Party Days.

I have a Standard ATX Motherboard (12" x 9.6") which means that there could be 10" space from edge of motherboard to case front and then 2" Vertical. Maybe this wont be possible as it would take a unique Power Supply mounting to make this happen.

I also have a 2 slot GTX 480 in this thing with 2 DVD Drives (dont mind dumping one) as well as 3 HDD's (single OS + Mirror Storage) which i dont mind downsizing.

Anyone, is this possible? Do you know of any Cases that may work?

I am willing to purchase a new motherboard of smaller dimensions but:
*Needs to have a 16x PCIE Slot, anything else is candy
*I must use the same Graphics Card which is 10.5" Long
*It must be AM3 as this Desktop uses a Phenom II X6 1055 CPU
*I have 8GB DDR3 1600 (2x4gb) so obviously were looking at 2 DIMMs Minimum
*I Must have 1 5.25" External Slot (prefer 2)
*I Must have at least 2 3.5" Slots, any combination of internal/external but prefer 4 or 5 with at least 1 external would be ideal
*Motherboard should support Sound or have a 1x PCIe Slot

Any Computer cases that could fit this or a Case that would fit any other size Motherboard with a 10.5" Long 2 slot GPU

Thank you in advance!

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009

The TSA Standards are going to be 9" Wide, the 22x14 can be looked at LxH or HxL as it doesnt matter, But for the case to work, i would assume it needs to be 22 long and 14 high (Length for space in front for HDD's) while space up top

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for this, I actually had looked at these as this was the nicest ITX board i could find and this case, as well as its siblings like one with a handle on the top, a red version etc. But the bottom HDD Cage is removed to fit a full length GPU, This case is absolutely genius for a small form factor with plenty of power! Only thing i would be missing is the dual optical drives but i dont think my brother in-law is [strike]copying[/strike] BACKING up movies as i do

There is room for a 2.5" drive under the DVD area. You can fit a fair sized laptop drive there. A SSD can be duct taped anywhere.
With the drive cage removed, the longest graphics card will fit. With the drive cage in place, you can't have a psu that is overly long.
I have the red version, and I think the anodized aluminum color is stunning.