HP Pavillion t340. Too Loud? [Video]

jamieyates14

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hi, I've been trying to figure out why my PC makes such a loud noise when running. My theory is that the CPU fan is clogged with years worth of dust.
Video of the noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89u_EZFiFwQ (Imagine that noise, but about 20 times louder, and worse sometimes)
Does anyone have any other theories about it?

Oh and by the way, it's under the CPU section because that's what I think it is...

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Best thing is to open the side pannel and have a look, yes dust build up causes the heat to build up making the fan run faster (louder)

if you have a few fans, just lightly touch the center of them to slow them down a touch, it will let u know which one is causing the most noise.

video sounds like you have a wire touching the fan, or the fan is just about shot. While the system is running lightly press on the center of each fan until you figure out exactly what fan is making the noise. Make sure all wires are routed away from the fans. You may need to purchase a new fan/heatsink (typically $30 or less).
Looks like a lot of crud in there, so a good can of air would do wonders for your system cooling. When spraying can of air make sure to 1) hold the fan to keep it from spinning and ruining the fan, and 2) keep the can upright as the liquid spray that comes out of a full can could kill your computer parts.

jamieyates14

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

I did that, no change. I found it was the hard drive making the noise.