Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need some help picking a new soundcard

Last response: in Components
March 5, 2012 9:27:24 PM

Hey everyone

I'm in the market for a new sound card at the moment I have this piece of garbage
http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi... Aside from the decent output its absolutely horrible for any sort of recording.

So I need something that will give me crystal clear recording with no hissing sounds or anything like that. currently I'm interested i the Auzentech Meridian 2G; I wanted to know if that was a good card for what I'm asking. I would like to record through the 3'5" jack but XLR works if thats even available on cards.

My price range is $80-$120 I'm open to any suggestions that will be a an upgrade to what I currently have.

Thanks! :wahoo: 

More about : picking soundcard

March 5, 2012 10:31:20 PM

Hi

If XLR is a must look at -

M-Audio Mobile Pre USB . Don't own one of these, so I cant really comment - seen them around, often used for recording live onto a laptop. Might be a little outside your price range, but you can get similar from others manufacturers for less

If you want to record audio 'with no hissing sounds or anything like that' I'd suggest the M-Audio AUDIOPHILE 2496. It's M-Audio's entry-level PCI audio recording soundcard. It doesn't have XLR and is definitley not a gaming / home theater soundcard, but it more or less sets the sound quality standard against which all other pro audio cards are judged.

If you need a gaming card you could always leave the soundblaster where it is and use that for output
m
l
March 5, 2012 11:32:54 PM

stuart72 said:
Hi

If XLR is a must look at -

M-Audio Mobile Pre USB . Don't own one of these, so I cant really comment - seen them around, often used for recording live onto a laptop. Might be a little outside your price range, but you can get similar from others manufacturers for less

If you want to record audio 'with no hissing sounds or anything like that' I'd suggest the M-Audio AUDIOPHILE 2496. It's M-Audio's entry-level PCI audio recording soundcard. It doesn't have XLR and is definitley not a gaming / home theater soundcard, but it more or less sets the sound quality standard against which all other pro audio cards are judged.

If you need a gaming card you could always leave the soundblaster where it is and use that for output

Hi thanks for the feedback I looked at both options you gave me and the pre usb is out of my budget. However the other card looks great the only thing I would like is 3'5" jacks. I would also want to know if the Auzentech Meridian 2g would give me the quality im looking for it has almost the same specs as the M-Audio.
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2012 1:02:07 AM

davcon said:
M-Audio is the way to go for any type of recording.
The Merdian has no audio creation options.
http://www.auzentech.com/site/support/comparison.php

What exactly do you mean by audio creation options?? Like software included because if that's what you mean I already have Adobe Audition.
m
l
March 6, 2012 1:14:22 AM

Jack The Smith said:
What exactly do you mean by audio creation options?? Like software included because if that's what you mean I already have Adobe Audition.

Yes = so i guess that makes no difference yo you.
Still i'd recommend an M-Audio if recording is your main use.
m
l
March 6, 2012 1:18:58 AM

davcon said:
Yes = so i guess that makes no difference yo you.
Still i'd recommend an M-Audio if recording is your main use.

The M-Audio cards look really good but I really want my standardized 3'5" audio jacks. I'm also game from time to time. SO i'm looking for versatility. My main question is will the merdian provide all that? Or should I really just get an M-audio and screw the 3'5" jacks
m
l
March 6, 2012 1:41:20 AM

I like Auzentech cards = i own two.
Forte is a solid all-around card.
The M-audio cards are not for gaming.
Asus and HT Omega also offer very good cards.
m
l
March 6, 2012 5:35:19 PM

SO its now down between the Forte and the Meridian 2g. Which would be better for recording?? In terms of sampling. Which card is better??
m
l

Best solution

March 6, 2012 8:06:49 PM

The X-Meridian 2G has two microphone inputs and a higher sampling rate.
Max Recording Sampling Rate is 24-bit/192kHz in Stereo.
March 7, 2012 1:47:20 AM

Best answer selected by Jack The Smith.
m
l
!