Sign in with
Your question

EVGA SR-2 - Should I risk it?

Last response: in Systems
December 2, 2011 12:28:37 AM

Hi everyone,

I've recently built my own computer; nothing too fancy.
Specs:
i7-950 (3.06ghz)
MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
8 GB DDR3 RAM
ASRock X58 Extreme
500 GB Momentus XT

It is an air-cooled rig.

My friend who is looking for a gaming computer has just asked me to build him one. He wants me to install an EVGA SR-2 motherboard, with two water-cooled eVGA classified GTX 580's. It will have 24 GB of RAM (all water cooled) and two Xeon processors (both water-cooled). I am experienced in installing all the components, but I have no experience with water-cooling equipment.
Considering I haven't built a water-cooled system yet, should I put >$5000 on the line?

Will this case (Lian-Li V2120) suffice in housing water-cooling equipment?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Someone commented on the product saying that they were able to fit a 3 x 120mm radiator into the machine. Do all 3 x 120 mm radiators have the same dimensions?

More about : evga risk

December 2, 2011 12:35:23 AM

Your friend is kind of umm, not very smart. The EVGA sr-2 motherboard is way way way overkill for gaming, as you can get an i5 2500k for much less, and a great motherboard. there is never a need to spend 5 grand on a gaming computer.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:37:27 AM

Well it's a multi-person job to even begin to install a Classified SR-2. You'll need at least two PSUs if you're even going to attempt a liquid cooled setup. You can get by with an air cooled setup if you use Notcua D-14s and a ****load of fans in your case.

The Classified SR-2 is a big board - I will warn you. There's very few cases that can contain this thing on the market right now. It's so big that it created its' own form factor.

Maximum PC used this board as the basis for their "Dream Machine" 2010 issue. You should read this to get some ideas before you proceed:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/home/dream_machine_201...
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2011 12:38:12 AM

I understand that, but he has a lot of money to spend and won't settle for anything less.

He will be using the computer for gaming, game recording*, and graphics rendering*.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:42:09 AM

Tell your friend to not be that guy, just get him the SR-3 when it comes out. and use two sandy bridge-E cpus if you cant get him to switch. But you need to tell him, that there is no point in spending that much on 1 computer.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:46:36 AM

@g-unit1111 Please clarify what you mean when you say that it is a multi-person task. Will i need help to install all of the liquid-cooling components or the entire computer in general? And explain why?

I am new to liquid-cooling. For liquid-cooling in general, what supplies the power to the liquid-cooling hardware? Will I definitely need two PSU's to power the liquid-cooled system or can I get by with one 1500 W PSU?
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:57:03 AM

Okay, so its a 2 person task because there is alot going on, you are going to need 2 PSUs, and with all those cables, and tubes for water cooling you might just blow up. Danger Den makes very good water cooling equipment. And the PSU supplies the power to the liquid cooling hardware. I have a really hard time though letting your friend go through with this. If he wants to overclock, he needs to study up, because you have to overclock 2 processors at the same time. and know a bunch of extra input values. Me and my friend put together an SR-2 system once, kind of like the one your friend wants to do, lemme just say this, 1 day is the least amount of time you should be spending on this. That motherboard is literally freaking huge, it cannot be stressed enough.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:59:52 AM

You're probably right. What a spoiled brat, right? I ought to take the money, build my own rig, and run!

You suggested using 2 Sandy-Bridge-E processors. Do you know of any EATX/ATX form factor motherboards that has two 2011 slots?
Taking into consideration what you said, I agree and will probably buy a server motherboard to have two Xeon-5000 processors (EATX).
m
l
December 2, 2011 1:05:54 AM

The SR-3 motherboard when it comes out, I don't know when though. he needs to face some major facts though, HE DOES NOT NEED an SR-2 FOR GAMING. I am maxing games and making videos on A LAPTOP, using INTEL HD GRAPHICS for christ sakes. tell him to split it, you can build a 2,500 computer for him and a 2,500 computer for you, win win right? he gets a kick ass computer and you get a kick ass computer.
m
l
December 2, 2011 1:11:24 AM

mrwhit30ut said:
The SR-3 motherboard when it comes out, I don't know when though. he needs to face some major facts though, HE DOES NOT NEED an SR-2 FOR GAMING. I am maxing games and making videos on A LAPTOP, using INTEL HD GRAPHICS for christ sakes. tell him to split it, you can build a 2,500 computer for him and a 2,500 computer for you, win win right? he gets a kick ass computer and you get a kick ass computer.
]

Haha, Intel HD can run BF3 at max settings and record?

I'll probably stick with a server motherboard and install two i7's or Xeons. Thanks for your help everyone!
m
l
December 2, 2011 1:14:47 AM

No not bf3 I've just been doing wow. but that was a little exaggeration, he doesn't need to cpus. tell him to get off his high horse and come down to earth, spending 5gs is way to much to spend on a computer that will be replaced in 1-2 years.
m
l
December 2, 2011 2:02:52 AM

kaizawa said:
@g-unit1111 Please clarify what you mean when you say that it is a multi-person task. Will i need help to install all of the liquid-cooling components or the entire computer in general? And explain why?

I am new to liquid-cooling. For liquid-cooling in general, what supplies the power to the liquid-cooling hardware? Will I definitely need two PSU's to power the liquid-cooled system or can I get by with one 1500 W PSU?

Installing that board is a huge job and you don't want to screw it up. Especially with the size of the case required - there's very few cases on the market that will be able to contain this thing, and even the ones that are - you really want to take your time and make sure everything is setup the way you want before you proceed. setting up everything - connecting all the cables, wiring all the tubing required for a liquid loop - it isn't easy.

I don't think you'll be able to get by with just one 1500W PSU - even the Silverstone Strider won't be enough to power this thing. Read the Maximum PC article - setting up such a beast of a computer like this is not like setting up any other computer on the planet.
m
l
December 2, 2011 2:26:18 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Installing that board is a huge job and you don't want to screw it up. Especially with the size of the case required - there's very few cases on the market that will be able to contain this thing, and even the ones that are - you really want to take your time and make sure everything is setup the way you want before you proceed. setting up everything - connecting all the cables, wiring all the tubing required for a liquid loop - it isn't easy.

I don't think you'll be able to get by with just one 1500W PSU - even the Silverstone Strider won't be enough to power this thing. Read the Maximum PC article - setting up such a beast of a computer like this is not like setting up any other computer on the planet.

Alright, I will attempt this a few years down the line from now. I will gain experience building normal liquid-cooled pc's. Thanks. :) 
m
l
December 2, 2011 2:28:08 AM

kaizawa said:
Alright, I will attempt this a few years down the line from now. I will gain experience building normal liquid-cooled pc's. Thanks. :) 

You can attempt it now but with the X-58s nearing the end of the line and the X79 platform taking over - you can bet that EVGA will release a Classified SR-3 in the near future that will handle dual 3930K's. With that setup you could easily setup a system that would eclipse the SR-2 and then some.
m
l
December 2, 2011 2:56:38 AM

http://www.xoxide.com/lian-li-pc-343b-case.html
Actually SR3 will not support 3930k's at all. They only support server processors which means until the new line of 2011 server processors come out it will not work. This is because normal processors dont have the extra data link required to run multiple cpus on one board.
m
l
December 2, 2011 3:50:10 AM

I don't understand why anyone needs such a PC. I brought a 980x and no game takes it above 30% load!
m
l
December 2, 2011 4:05:40 AM

Posted that 3 times with no reprieve, his friend is a snooty rich kid who doesn't understand the meaning of good, when it doesn't come with a huge price tag.
m
l
!