Sign in with
Your question
Closed

DVI to HDMI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2011 10:33:23 PM

Hello,
I have a Vizio VA19L TV (HDMI input) mated to my pc video card (Radeon 9550 DVI output).I get no sound from the TV speakers with this connection but the picture is great! I have tried using the 1/8” miniplug from my PC sound card (REALTEK 97) to the TV but still no TV speaker sound. I know the existing PC sound card works. I disabled it through the bios to see if there might be some conflict between it and the video card sound chip, if it has one (Radeon claims there is an audio chip on all their 9000 series cards). My bios only reads my current audio card (Realtek 97) and my control panel sounds option says the same thing. How can you tell if your Video card sound chip is enabled and working? A Vizio rep seems to think there is a way to configure my video card to be able to send audio. I also read somewhere online that DVI does not transmit audio. Anyway a confusing set of circumstances. Anybody got this figured out?

More about : dvi hdmi

October 7, 2011 2:12:34 AM

I've never personally tried running sound through/from my video card, but I would have to think that the audio would be better through the sound card...would you be able to run an analog cable from the green port on the back of the pc to an analog port on the back of the tv? That's the first way I would try it.
Score
February 5, 2012 3:31:32 AM

DVI doesn't include audio signal, so if you're connecting DVI out on your computer through an adapter to HDMI in on your TV, it won't bring sound along.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2012 12:45:32 PM

hurtreynolds said:
DVI doesn't include audio signal, so if you're connecting DVI out on your computer through an adapter to HDMI in on your TV, it won't bring sound along.

Sort of. You can't typically use HDMI with an external sound source on most TV's. Since HDMI typically carriers sound and video the TV doesn't look for another source of sound. So, unless you have a way to get the TV to use component sound in and HDMI video you're not going to get sound.

You might try finding a DVI to component (RGB) cable and then hooking up your sound card/on board sound to the same set of component connections. Otherwise you'll need a video card with HDMI out to get sound.
February 15, 2012 3:11:01 AM

Best answer selected by danbarr.
Score
!