Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading MoBo and Memory(each)

Last response: in Motherboards
January 10, 2013 5:04:51 PM

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about upgrading my PC and a well-known, usually trustworthy, guy recommended me to upgrade my system in general. So he meant to upgrade my MoBo, RAM and harddrives.

My specs are:

MoBo: Asrock n68-s
RAM : 4gb ddr2 RAM
CPU : AMD Phenom II x4 925 (around 4x 2,8ghz)
GPU : Gainward GTX550ti
Harddrives: 230GB - IDE (C: , Windows 7 (64bit)/User-data) ; 1TB SATA II for games and stuff like movies, bigger programms, etc.

So would upgrading to a newer Asus MoBo (which costs about 120€ - don't know the name, but id doesnt have IDE), 8gb of DDR3, and an SSD for windows/user increase my system-performance in general ? (I would keep my SATAII for my games)

By that I mean: Smoother gaming (steadily fps - no crashings), faster PC start/shut down - etc.
Or, the other way 'round, is my old IDE which runs my OS sth. like a bottleneck to my other, quite solid (i think), components ?

Thanks in advance mates :) 

More about : upgrading mobo memory

a b V Motherboard
January 10, 2013 5:13:09 PM

If you are upgrading to a new Mobo, HDD and RAM then you cannot use the old installed OS in your old PC, because the old motherboard is solely tied to the old OS(Windows) and you can still transfer all your old games and files to a the new HDD or SSD whatever you prefer.
January 10, 2013 5:39:37 PM

aqe040466 said:
If you are upgrading to a new Mobo, HDD and RAM then you cannot use the old installed OS in your old PC, because the old motherboard is solely tied to the old OS(Windows) and you can still transfer all your old games and files to a the new HDD or SSD whatever you prefer.

Thanks for your reply.
So you're actually trying to tell me that I simply can't use my Windows 7 (which I bought) on my new MoBo ?
Sorry, but I have to admit that I don't believe that - it's person bound, not MoBo bound (person bound - u shouldnt give it away or sth, or trying to use it at 2 PC's), isn't it ?
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2013 11:07:19 AM

TheCrisis said:
Thanks for your reply.
So you're actually trying to tell me that I simply can't use my Windows 7 (which I bought) on my new MoBo ?
Sorry, but I have to admit that I don't believe that - it's person bound, not MoBo bound (person bound - u shouldnt give it away or sth, or trying to use it at 2 PC's), isn't it ?

When you bought a new Windows 7 with the new MOBO, then absolutely you can use it.
!