Completed new build no video

rinfang

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hello, I just completed my first new build in a while. Problem I'm having is that when my graphics card is installed, the computer wont post. I uninstalled the graphics card and was able to install windows and update drivers for everything using the onboard graphics. Installed the drivers for the graphics card, reinstalled it, and still no post. There is a light labeled VGA LED that is lit up, so I assume it must be something to do with that, but even the fan on the graphics card works so I'm not sure what is going on.

My build:

Windows 7 home 64bit
Asus p8z68-v pro motherboard
Intel i7 2600k CPU with coolermaster aftermarket heatsink and fan
16 gb 1600 corsair xms ram (4x4gb)
2 90gb corsair force sataIII ssd in raid 0
seasonic s12II-620bronze 620w power supply
ati radeon hd 5850 graphics card

I have tried several different things on many different sites, especially check lists to make sure everything is in place, just stuck and was looking for some help with this, computer seems to run fine with no graphics card, but as I want to play 3d games it is important for sure.

rinfang

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
I do not have another computer than is new enough to have a pci express slot, been a while since my last build (like 6 years) I did plug both 6 pin power cables into the video card though, checked that it was seated correctly, have even check that I have the newest bios version and drivers for the video card

rinfang

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
only other thing I can think of is if my power supply isnt big enough, I am pretty sure it should be fine (its why i bought it) but is it?

Also the video card has dvi and hdmi outputs, and the monitor im using only accepts vga, so i have a dvi to vga converter on it, although i dont see why that should bother anything

rinfang

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
The power supply is brand new, main part works fine as the computer works without the videocard, is it even possible that just the voltage coming out of both pci express wires (gpins each) arent right?

cumi2k4

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

well, it's very remote possibility....considering all your components power up normally. My main suspect is the video card, you really should try get it tested in other pc (either your friend's or at the shop where you buy it)

rinfang

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Bought it online, from 1saleaday.com, have seen a lot of reviews that their RMA process sucks, which is why im try to exhaust resources to make sure it is broken and i havent just done some trivial mistake. Going to find another computer to try tonight or tomorrow, depending on who is available

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
"Also the video card has dvi and hdmi outputs, and the monitor im using only accepts vga, so i have a dvi to vga converter on it, although i dont see why that should bother anything" - This could definitely be a problem....

It has to use DVI-I... which allows for a VGA display. If the adapter is DVI-D it will not allow a VGA signal to get to the monitor..

Check this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Make sure your connections allow for VGA pass-through.

Connect using the onboard and go into BIOS and check what the default display out is set to.... it is either Onboard or PCI-E.... tell it to be PCI-E and restart and connect your monitor to the video card.. see what happens.

rinfang

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
The connector I have is specifically for DVI to VGA, so the connector should be fine, I checked the specs of the video card, and it said it was vga compatable. The bios is set to pcie/pci. I would think that if it was just a cable to monitor problem, the mobo led shouldnt come up. Not sure though.

cirdecus

Distinguished
The LED usually means that the card is bad. The Mobo goes through certain steps in order and checking the VGA is one of them. If it hits a stop, it will spit out beep codes and usually light an LED.

can you set the BIOS to use onboard video and then plug the card in? Plug your monitor into the on-board video and try to boot. If you can somehow boot using your onboard video while your other video card is plugged in, you'll be able to see if windows recognizes your card.

If it doesn't, then it's a bad card. If it does, then it could be a VGA compatibility problem.

rinfang

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
So some odd updates regarding my problem. I can boot my computer with my video card in, but not with the monitor cable plugged in to it. Once windows loads, then i can plug in the monitor cable. Doing this it shows me my desktop, and i can browse the internet. I used windows update to get new drivers and when it restarted it wouldnt show anything anymore.

I did borrow a old video card from a friend and its works just fine, but its so old the pci express gpu didnt even require a separate power source.

So as it stands I can turn on the computer if the monitor cable is not plugged in, and then do nothing else with it at all. :( RMA pending to 1saleaday.com