Upgrading the unused computer

easytoread

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Well i'm seeking a help here, so this is my case :

- Mobo : Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2C (Intel Socket LGA 775), this is old one that's why unused

it supports up to core 2 duo proc, so i got these options :

- proc : Dual core E5700 or Core 2Duo E6550

and for graphic, i got 2 choices :

-Radeon 4890
-Geforce GTX 260/275

well i don't know if those GPU can be used in my old MB, but since it uses 1 PCI-E x16, so maybe can?(well i don't want reduced performance of GPU caused of my old MB)

as for RAM, i'll use 2x4 or maybe 8Gb

Thats all things i need to know since what affect computer performance is CPU,GPU,RAM (or at least that others say to me)

i need opinion and advice here, and as the title is "Upgrading", don't suggest me to change Mobo, since changing mobo means build a new computer..(i'll ask it in another thread about building computer)

*)It will be used for gaming, need a fast n responsive,don't worry about the graphics settings being low or mid
*)Sorry if i made some mistakes, 1st time here so..go easy on me ;)

CDdude55

Distinguished
If you really want a good gaming machine i'd save a bit and upgrade to a better parts, as those parts you've mentioned are to old to really keep up with todays games. You won't be able to crank much to any things on high when it comes to modern or upcoming games like BF3, Far Cry 3, Metro: Last Light etc. It will stuggle.

But if you are dead set on those parts then i'd go with the HD 4890 as it performs a bit better then the GTX 260 if i remember and about as good as the GTX 275. Though the power consumption and heat output on the 4870/4890 cards are fairly terrible, i had a 4870 a while back and it ran hotter then the GTX 470 that i had. But it still performaed nicely at the time.

Also your PCI-E slot is x16 which is full bandwidith so i don't see why you'd be conserned about reduced performance.

And those that say that CPU. GPU and RAM are the only factors in performance are partly wrong. As it largely depends on what needs to get done... sometimes reading and writing large files constantly is most important to someone, so they would focus on their secondary storage media like an HDD's and SSD's. Or they use their system as a server where the CPU and RAM are far more important then the GPU.

easytoread

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Thanks for the fast response.
Like you say before, yes i know its a really old one and it will hardly stand with modern games.

Btw, about the heat, can you say precisely about the temp? It will really annoying if got overheated on everything.

And about bus PCI-E x16, let's say i use HD6870, you sure the old mobo won't reduce the performance? combined with intel 2 core?

oh and i've got a plan about build a new computer (different computer, since this one with 2 core will be given to my bro)
>>Gaming built,effective and efficient, using AMD proc which i never use before (i usually go with intel). But let's get back to this upgrading things, can you suggest things i need to change?

about other things :
OS : Win 7 32bit - will be changed to 64 bit due to RAM consuming
RAM : 2x4 or 8Gb
I want to put a 60gb SSD, but not quite sure if it's worthed when you see the 2 core proc and old MB
As for cooling systems, i definitely no idea for advanced cooling.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Buy 2x4 DDR3 ram so you can take advantage of dual channel mode. It will be faster than running one stick of 8gigs. Or are you talking about the old mobo that one only takes ddr2 and it's more expensive right now.

easytoread

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Buy 2x4 DDR3 ram so you can take advantage of dual channel mode. It will be faster than running one stick of 8gigs. Or are you talking about the old mobo that one only takes ddr2 and it's more expensive right now.

nah thanks for reminding me to read the user manual..its ddr2 i think, so i'm stuck with maximum of 4gb RAM i think?

so the only options i have is, having 2x2 ddr2 ram, am i correct? :(
is it enough for gaming with 4GB ram?

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
The spec is not all that bad actually, it still decent enough to pull off playable fps on, say; 1080p all set max and enable everything. It should not be that much of a burden, even for an old outdated specs as this. I do still have an up and running LGA775 based at my parents home. I still can't tell the difference when it comes to real word use from much later gen when it comes to gaming, unless it sports crappier GPU. My old college rig is still as snappy as I remember it.

However...

If you can spend some extra bit of cash, you should get some C2Q lineup. Because, I know G31 does supports Intel's Core 2 Quads lineup. Even the cheapest one warrant a much more performance than dual cores ones. Some individual chips for LGA775 gen even comprise a decent enough performance to get you almost equal or slightly worse than Sandy Bridge series offer for the same price back then. I'm talking about the legendary Q9650. Heck, Q6600 should get you through to get playable fps on any game to date if paired with decent enough GPU.

Memory wise, if I recall, DDR2 gen don't have 4GB variant on a single module. I could be wrong though. Even so, if such memory even exist, it would be very rare. Still, a 2x2GB DDR2 800 is good enough. And if I recall correctly, a G31 should capable to push memory settings to 1333mhz by OC. I never get it how to do it though...maybe that was because I'm too lazy back then.

And lastly, for GPU, I think 4890 are overrated. This card holds nothing. It performs slightly better than 4870 but tagged too much. Plus, it is not a DX11 capable card. Why not go for HD7770, that should save you. Regardless what people say, it's a next gen card and powerful enough to get you through with that old specs, and you will not be bottlenecked by CPU if you at least using 4 cores variants.

And an SSD as primary will boost everything up significantly.

edit: fixed typo :p

easytoread

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Why not go for HD7770

Well for GPU, got any references about HD7770? Because when i went to benchmarking sites, it says HD6870 still better HD7770.
Well, if all kind of high end GPU can work in the old mobo (as long as using only 1 PCI-E x16), then i'll go with the highest 1 with good pricing (like that HD7770 and HD6870), but still for those 2, i cannot compare it which one better than others.

And yes about the RAM, its maxed at 4Gb, so i'm still using my 2x2 DDR2.

And about the proc, can you give me some sources or references about Q9650 and Q6600? Well, i'm also thinking about the proc's price, i heard Q9650 still high in price?
I heard that if, lets say, you have a high end GPU, but low mobo+proc (GA-G31M-S2C + *put maximum compatible proc with the mobo), it will reduce the performance, true or false?

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Indeed, a 6870 would outperform 7770 but by a slight difference. The 7770 only boast is a far better efficiency. Sure, if money is not a concern, the HD6970 should not be bottlenecked by 775's quad core lineup, even the slowest there is. Let alone a Q9650.

But why not wait until the HD7000 all series for high-end lineup to be available? Or even, wait again for some price drops when Kepler is out. Meanwhile,you rely on onboard GPU lol . But that's just a poetic note...I guess a 6970 or 6950 should serve you well.

About Q9650, even when Intel release them back then it was quite rare. I don't think it still survived unsold...and the premium price tag when they release it was about the same as i7's today.
Your only chances are even if you able to buy it will most likely for second hand items. You're on your own on this, sorry. Same story goes to Q6600.

Motherboard only facilitates feature. Regardless of the motherboard you use, as long as it has the necessary requirements to run the hardware you put on them, it would be just fine like latest generation would do. So,in this case it's false, because G31 based motherboard by any vendor, does hold the capabilities and the feature needed to run them.

easytoread

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
most likely for second hand items

That is the exact prob i've been thinking. Sometimes buying 2nd hand items is..well you know, high price low quality 'cause we never know what had been happened to the proc.

I prefer buy 2x HD6870 than 1 HD6970 cause of the price :)

Lol, using onboard graphic is like asking a painter to paint using legs with eyes closed. Besides, buying high end GPU won't put me to disadvantage when it comes to change the whole computer right? (Put the GPU on other motherboard, as long as the new MB support it, which i doubt the MB won't support the GPU)

All GPU listed above using 1 PCI-E x16 (bus socket), which my MB can handle. Those things say that the bus type is GDDR5, and i have no idea IF my MB can handle it (i can't find info about bus type).

I've found some vendor still selling the 775 quad core, but i'm sure with the prices. Can you suggest the other proc which is cheaper than Q9650 (i remember the price of Q9650 is around 300-350 when it released)

Oh, btw i'm using 450W PSU, do i need to change it to 550W (lets say with the core 2 + HD6870/HD7770)