Tags:
  • Memory
  • DDR2
  • RAM
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
January 10, 2013 7:57:28 PM

I currently have 4gb ddr2 ocz reaper with the following specs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Timing 5-5-5-18
Cas Latency 5
Voltage 2.1V - 2.2V

What do I have to look for in similar ram so that I will not have my new ram slow down my old ram? Do I need to worry about not only timing, but also voltage . What does 1066 PC2 8500 mean and how does it affect my choices in ram? I am trying to find some used ram because ddr2 is incredibly expensive nowadays.

Thanks.

More about : compatability memory

January 11, 2013 7:44:47 AM

With new ram, you have to first make sure its of the same type (add ddr2 to ddr2 or ddr3 with ddr3) then you look at the speed and timings so you dont end up slowing down your old ram or your new ram. Unfortunately, that also means your going to have to buy a brand new motherboard if you are planning on switching to ddr3 ram, as ddr2 motherboards dont support ddr3 ram
m
l
January 11, 2013 11:35:23 PM

vahn0100 said:
With new ram, you have to first make sure its of the same type (add ddr2 to ddr2 or ddr3 with ddr3) then you look at the speed and timings so you dont end up slowing down your old ram or your new ram. Unfortunately, that also means your going to have to buy a brand new motherboard if you are planning on switching to ddr3 ram, as ddr2 motherboards dont support ddr3 ram

Thanks for the response. I understand the differences between ddr1-3. I was hoping to get more information on timings/voltages/other information.
m
l
!