What's needed for an ATI 6950

Shilalydawg

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
I need to know if I'll be able to use a 6950 in my computer. I have an MSI p965 Platinum and a 750W TX Corsair power supply. There is 1 thing in particular that I'm worried is that it says "■500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended." I don't know if I have this or how to tell, I've looked online and in the manuals for both my power supply and mainboard and I'm just not sure, does anyone have any info that can help?

Solution
Your PSU will run a single 6950 just fine, it could probably even run 2 6950s without much trouble. Your PSU will definitely have the appropriate connectors, any good quality PSU like the Corsair you have will have at least 4 6 pin PCI-E connectors. As long as you don't have a really old motherboard, you should be fine with that card, some of the older LGA775 and a lot of the Socket 939 boards have compatibility problems with PCI-E 2.1 cards like the 6950.

dane332

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Is that corsair from the enthusiast series? if so then yes you have enough connectors (provided you didn't lose any cables) also do you know if your motherboard has a pci express 2.0 slot?

Your PSU will run a single 6950 just fine, it could probably even run 2 6950s without much trouble. Your PSU will definitely have the appropriate connectors, any good quality PSU like the Corsair you have will have at least 4 6 pin PCI-E connectors. As long as you don't have a really old motherboard, you should be fine with that card, some of the older LGA775 and a lot of the Socket 939 boards have compatibility problems with PCI-E 2.1 cards like the 6950.

Solution