Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU temperature help

Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2012 5:21:23 AM

Hey guys,

I bought my computer around August 2011 and all is well, no issues.

Its an i5-2400 and I'm still using the stock fan/heatsink.

I was looking up the maximum temperature for the CPU and its around 72.6 celsius, anyway when I'm playing on Mafia 2 which is fairly demanding, after about 30 minutes-1hr my CPU temp recording goes to about 75-80, the graphics card stays reasonable at about 60-70 ( its a gts 250).

My question is basically this:

Are these recordings to high to be playing the game, should I be getting a new CPU cooler, if so; which CPU cooler would you guys recommend that is affordable, I have no experience with actually replacing them so if it involves removing the motherboard I'd need to find a computer tech.

The socket I have is an LGA 1155

Thanks

More about : cpu temperature

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 6, 2012 5:24:25 AM

Those temps are fine for playing the game. Worry when it gets 95-100 or more, then you can get scared! Replacing the cooler is purely optional...
March 6, 2012 5:26:17 AM

Yeah well the CPU temp doesn't reach over 80 so far, I'll wait for some more input on it, but thanks for the quick reply!
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2012 5:33:38 AM

The max temp for Sandy Bridge CPUs is 98C.
m
l
March 6, 2012 5:36:22 AM

Your temps are inside your CPU's thermal limits so its ok...
m
l
March 6, 2012 5:44:34 AM

chaingang64 said:
Hey guys,

I bought my computer around August 2011 and all is well, no issues.

Its an i5-2400 and I'm still using the stock fan/heatsink.

I was looking up the maximum temperature for the CPU and its around 72.6 celsius, anyway when I'm playing on Mafia 2 which is fairly demanding, after about 30 minutes-1hr my CPU temp recording goes to about 75-80, the graphics card stays reasonable at about 60-70 ( its a gts 250).

My question is basically this:

Are these recordings to high to be playing the game, should I be getting a new CPU cooler, if so; which CPU cooler would you guys recommend that is affordable, I have no experience with actually replacing them so if it involves removing the motherboard I'd need to find a computer tech.

The socket I have is an LGA 1155

Thanks

Get core temp and that will tell you heat ceiling and enable overheat protection if your really worried it will put pc to sleep I set mine to 2 or 3 degrees below ceiling just in case my pump fails on my antec 620 wc
m
l
March 6, 2012 6:02:54 AM

rainman34 said:
Get core temp and that will tell you heat ceiling and enable overheat protection if your really worried it will put pc to sleep I set mine to 2 or 3 degrees below ceiling just in case my pump fails on my antec 620 wc

Yeah I downloaded that program, looks pretty good, Iv'e only got a 500W standard power supply, should I consider getting that changed?
m
l
March 6, 2012 7:23:06 AM

Best answer selected by chaingang64.
m
l
a c 112 à CPUs
March 6, 2012 9:17:39 AM

the tcase for that cpu is 72'c so anything higher than that should be considered to high... get a decent 3rd party cooler and you should see your temps down to the 50's
m
l
March 6, 2012 5:48:53 PM

chaingang64 said:
Yeah I downloaded that program, looks pretty good, Iv'e only got a 500W standard power supply, should I consider getting that changed?

Depends if your overclocking the i5, but if your just staying stock speeds with the gts 250 and the processor 500w should be fine as long as its output is over 24 amp min specs for gts 250( i think they are a little high but thats what been quoted) but if its just a generic i would change it because what it states on the sticker is nt always what it buts out a bronze or silver 650w or 700w is nt that expensive compared with if your power supply goes pop through overload!
m
l
!