black socket, the right side pin on my PSU burned H

Jarka_Deas

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
The black socket behind the psu burned the pin's color turned brownish-black. The cable I had was not properly inserted is the reason for it getting burned sad

SO now I need to find a way to get it don't without spending much. Kind of like if I replace those black socket itself or something by soldering is it possible. And how is the process done.

Or any other recommendation you have.

qQ8Ed.jpg

Thanks a bunch.

Solution
C15 is the counterpart to C16 from what I recall, yes it is probably a C14, you can use C16 leads (Kettle leads) in C14 sockets, but not the other way around. C16 is for heavier duty appliances.

You need to change both the lead and the socket that is burnt, as the inside of the socket on the lead with also be charred and will just do it again as it will be a high resistance connection.

Jarka_Deas

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

well don't go with the picture I posted it from the net I'll post my actual picture soon

I don't live in UK, I'm from Asia.
1)I want to know is it possible to change only that much part and what is that called exactly ?
2)Do local shops do this soldiering work or do I need to buy a new one.
3)Can I do it myself with if I say I have all the tools required and I know to assemble a PC.

ps: here is the image

JgXIh.jpg
YP8U0.jpg

Jarka_Deas

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Its not the first time It has burned its the 2nd time the last time it happened the PSU totally got dead, but this time the PSU, fans everything is working but I smell something burning on that layer as seen in the picture.

The local store told me to install a UPS to make the electricity flow constant so it doesn't harm the PC but then I read on other forums its not so so requierd. So I decided now that since again its spoiled I rather do it myself with my friend having the soldiering skills.

ps: but c16 looks different look at my original connector looks like C14 or 15 to me
dDQSP.jpg

What do you think?

C15 is the counterpart to C16 from what I recall, yes it is probably a C14, you can use C16 leads (Kettle leads) in C14 sockets, but not the other way around. C16 is for heavier duty appliances.

You need to change both the lead and the socket that is burnt, as the inside of the socket on the lead with also be charred and will just do it again as it will be a high resistance connection.

Solution
thats an outlet not an inlet, you used to be able to run the monitor off the PC's PSU (its just a pass through the PSU does no work). Thats how I know It's an old PSU as that style was abandoned a long time ago.

When you are working on the PSU, be careful get someone who knows about electronics to help, some of the capacitors will be charged and could give you quite a belt.

Hi :)

I own local computers shops lol...

We wouldnt sell a scrap one to anyone (too much legal risk etc) ignoring the risk of electrocution...

To the OP ...just buy a new PSU ....CHEAPER THAN DYING of electrocution or burning down your house...

All the best Brett :)