Solved

Boot Problem w/ Asus P8Z77-V LX

I just replaced my old AMD cpu and its mobo for a new i5 3.4ghz w/ the above mentioned mobo. I can get into BIOS but windows 7 won't load properly.
Unfortunately the new mobo doesnt have connex for my older dvd rom drives (IDE), so I'm having trouble reinstalling windows despite my efforts booting from a USB drive having created an image of the install disk.
If I try to boot 'normally' it gets to the windows logo loading page (with the swirly lights), hangs for a half second and goes to a blue screen w/ some yellow text for another half second before rebooting.
Please help!

Running the windows Startup Repair utility yeilds a result of 0x0 for all tests.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about boot problem asus p8z77
  1. Swedishish said:
    I just replaced my old AMD cpu and its mobo for a new i5 3.4ghz w/ the above mentioned mobo. I can get into BIOS but windows 7 won't load properly.
    Unfortunately the new mobo doesnt have connex for my older dvd rom drives (IDE), so I'm having trouble reinstalling windows despite my efforts booting from a USB drive having created an image of the install disk.
    If I try to boot 'normally' it gets to the windows logo loading page (with the swirly lights), hangs for a half second and goes to a blue screen w/ some yellow text for another half second before rebooting.
    Please help!

    Running the windows Startup Repair utility yields a result of 0x0 for all tests.
  2. Hi, If having the old PC, boot from the old HDD and uninstall the SATA and the graphics driver.
    Set SATA to IDE to the new PC.
  3. Sorry! Not trying to bump my post. New to the forum. :/
  4. alexoiu said:
    Hi, If having the old PC, boot from the old HDD and uninstall the SATA and the graphics driver.
    Set SATA to IDE to the new PC.


    I could do that, but I would have to disassemble the computer (again). Is there another way?
  5. Actually, what do you mean "set SATA to IDE to the new PC?"
  6. In BIOS, SATA configuration, there are 3 options (RAID, AHCI and IDE). If set to AHCI, switch to IDE.
    Not really disassembling, just removing the hard disk. Make sure that the power supply is off when uninstalling components.
  7. Thanks for your help, alexoiu.

    This is my situation: I have a computer w/ a new mobo and cpu w/ 2 old hdds (SATA) and 2 dvd roms (IDE, not connected), and a 550w power supply. The old motherboard is in a static proof bag.
    Should I put the old mobo back in to reconfigure settings?
  8. Best answer
    I see. Try firstly switching to IDE in BIOS. See if it does boot.
    If not, you can buy a new SATA DVD ROM, or a SATA to IDE adapter for using an old one. Or google for some tutorials - how to install Windows 7 from an USB stick.
  9. Going through the BIOS just now I noticed it's only reading one of two RAM modules installed. Could that be a related problem?
  10. alexoiu said:
    I see. Try firstly switching to IDE in BIOS. See if it does boot.
    If not, you can buy a new SATA DVD ROM, or a SATA to IDE adapter for using an old one. Or google for some tutorials - how to install Windows 7 from an USB stick.


    Switching the SATA setting from AHCI to IDE resulted in the PC no longer recognizing the hdds :/
  11. OMG. I think it's working!
    Switching the SATA settings definitely did the trick! I just needed to reprioritize the boot devices and unplug the USB drive.

    Thanks so much!
  12. Best answer selected by Swedishish.
  13. Arg - I can now boot into safe mode successfully. I managed to get the network adapter (from the mobo) drivers installed but I don't know why I can't load into Windows non-safe mode. Attempting to just results in a reboot loop.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Motherboards