What is the best 2ed Generation Intel Core i7 Processor Extreme

animehacks86

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Hello my name is Corey, i am new here and i would like to ask you guy and gals of what is the best 2nd Generation Intel Core i7 Processor Extreme Edition. i have looked and can't found what i am looking for on the Net. so i need your help. i would like to know what is the best power support supply and mother band that has 2 or 4 CPU slots. that will work great to together.

_zxzxzx_

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Currently, the best 2nd gen i7 processor is the i7 3960X. The PSU you need will depend on the other components in your system and i don't think there is a dual or quad 'socket' motherboard for i7's.

animehacks86

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Think zxzxzx. i will look up 2nd gen i7 processor i7 3960 to see the spaces on it. are you sure that there is no dual or quad 'socket' motherboard for i7's or is any one out there making a mother like that for the i7? if anyone out there knows places reply.

right now intel's sandy bridge-e core i7 3960x is the highest end cpu. they use x79 chipset and lga 2011 socket. if you search shopping sites for intel x79 motherboards, you'll find plenty of them. check this page:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i7ee-processor.html
afaik, duall and quad socket motherboards are usually for servers. they can support multiplce cpus. intel's server cpus are called xeons. something like these:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-processor-e7-family.html
servers generally use different psu from mainstream desktop cpus. however, you can use a regular desktop cpu and typical pc with a server operating system and run a home server.

animehacks86

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
can you use a dual and quad socket motherboard server as desktop PC and not as a server? can anyone till my or link me about what is the differences of server motherboard and one slot motherboard for pc's?

phil_h_99

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
You can't run multiple desktop processors, you could run quad Xeon 7000 series or E7 series such as E7-8870s but unless you are using very highly optimised software I don't think you would want to.

Dude, ima go ahead and tell you. will the Intel 3960X from Intel. You are nuts if you think you need two if your trying to do well anything. Introducing the Intel Core i7 3960X, the worlds fastest stock processor to run life on...High lol. But no seriously dude. the 3960 and 3930Ks are Six core Processor's. But the performance they will give you for the next 3-4 years will be more than enough to handle anything from Video Editing....Multiple Videos. Running Battlefield 3 Max settings.....Along with Skyrim, Metro 2033 All at the same time. You don't need a Dual socket I7 motherboard man. I doubt they will even make one that supports the I7's. but i know they are making X79 boards for the Xeons. i think.

runswindows95

Distinguished
A rough idea of a super computer today for a home system:

i7-2500K
8GB of RAM
A reliable Z68 motherboard
ATI HD 7970
120GB+ SSD and a 1TB+ HDD

The problem with trying to build a "super computer" is most of the time, the most expensive components are not worth the gain. In fact, to quote an article: "Although they sound impressive, those advantages don't necessarily translate into significant performance gains in modern titles. Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge machines. "

Edit to post the link of the article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html
Also, within a year or even less, something else comes out that's even faster. No gaming system should be more than $2,000 for the tower. If you get good components, you can just upgrade over time when the system gets slow.

phil_h_99

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
supercomputers don't generally use the very fastest CPUs and lots of SMP. They use very large clusters of relatively in-expensive hardware. The biggest problems for home use is power, cooling, space , and what you actually do with it. You could put together a reasonably powerful Beowulf cluster or you could go with a GPGPU sim-cluster with Nvidia Tesla GPUs.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished