Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is it legal for me to purchase and use an OEM version of windows 7?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 29, 2011 6:14:26 AM

I am asking this because windows 7 is pretty expensive. I am still a student and I do not have allot of money. The OEM windows 7 is about 100 dollars cheaper and I really don't want to shell out that much money for the retail version. It says its only for computer manufacturer's to install on a newly built PC for a customer. I also heard some Microsoft people say its fine to use for personal use. It's kind of a conflicting message from Microsoft. What should I do?

Also do you think windows 8 is going to be good and should I wait and save for that?

Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2011 6:32:38 AM

Its perfectly fine for you to get one. Most people on Tom's HW have that copy of OEM.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2011 6:36:41 AM

bret said:
I am asking this because windows 7 is pretty expensive. I am still a student and I do not have allot of money. The OEM windows 7 is about 100 dollars cheaper and I really don't want to shell out that much money for the retail version. It says its only for computer manufacturer's to install on a newly built PC for a customer. I also heard some Microsoft people say its fine to use for personal use. It's kind of a conflicting message from Microsoft. What should I do?

Also do you think windows 8 is going to be good and should I wait and save for that?

Thanks!

So get Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit ~ $99.99 @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=32-116-...
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2011 6:39:02 AM

bret said:

Thanks!

As a student, u can get even better deal, check http://softstore-sales.net/shop/search/?s=windows%20%25...
December 29, 2011 6:42:08 AM

Best answer selected by bret.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2011 6:45:48 AM

Thanx for the vote Bret : )
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2011 6:46:15 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!