Power Supply Brands for GTX 580

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
soo issue at hand everyone list same brands of PSU and to be honest its hard to say what to go with

i know for fact seasonic maybe good quality but 12v amps are pathetic and so is over pricing

now Cosair make good psu i do currently have 1 but issue is must get 600w+ in order get 8Pin connector with 30+ 12v rail from what i can see maybe it just limited stock the local shop has idk

then there's antec some good stuff some bad stuff and hard to figure out what is good with them and has 8Pin and a 6pin with 30AMPs under 600W

so i am looking for this spec for my PSU 550W Under and has 8Pin and 6Pin with 30amps on 12v that can run my 2nd GTX 580 i have a dual psu case and currently have a HX650Watt Corsair

i also have a Dual psu cable

soo help me PELASE!!!

i been looking at silverstone

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_995&products_id=15107

seems only one i can find that has 80+ cert and its got 30+Amps on 12v of you guys got other PSU please let me know

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

its the lack of 8pin on some antec PSU that does it for me

and this is not true have dual power supply's is not a pain or hard at all its easy as and lot of servers do have 2 PSU and does nothing different and cable management will be fine also due to fact they be hidden away behind bored soo people that say Dual psu is bad or No good your hurting your system chance catch on fire is all lies and Bs its just excuse

if you would like care to explain how its pain in the ass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyO0jcARrdg&feature=fvst

multi psu systems are mandatory for servers, as GOOD servers absolutely must be redundant in almost all components. if you have a gaming rig with something like a 4x crossfire 6990 setup, a dual psu system would be very ideal as well.

Youtube user Said this ^

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
If your 2nd power supply is going to only run your 2nd GTX 580 it doesn't need 30A on the 12v rail, it's TDP is 244w, which is 20.3A. And you can just get an adapter for the 8 pin plug if the PSU doesn't have one.

What you are doing is really odd though,2 PSU's may be good for a server but in a gaming rig it's just an extra source of heat. Your PSU's are not redundant, they are running different components, so there is no benefit to running 2 from a stability point of view. I would just sell your corsiar unit and by one PSU good enough to run all of your components.

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

i do agree it give more heat but i'm on liquid cooling with 2 140MM fans upto and 3 120mm fans on front and 2 120mm fans at back with option 1 120mm fan on side

heat will be no issue

also going overclock my Computer so il be using it on HDD and CD rom and Cold Cathodes ect so 30AMPs is ideal tho i know GTX 580 uses 20 but i rather have a lil bit head room on the 12v AMP

im going to soon replace side fan to a super fan not sure what one yet

my 2nd GTX 580 is going be a PNY with liquid cooling or Zotac version

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Well sounds like you are locked in on running 2 PSU's, I still don't understand the motivation, but you seem to be prepared to do so.

I don't know of any PSU's 550w and below that are going to have an 8 pin PCI-e. Probably not a big market for them since cards with 8 pin connectors recommend higher PSU's than that. Adapters work fine though. Silverstone makes good PSU's, but they are usually just as expensive if not more so than comperable seasonic PSUs from what I've seen. Not sure what you mean the 12v amps are pathetic, my 620w seasonic has 48A on the 12v rail, and the 520w version has 40A on the 12v. I was able to run 2 GTX 465s in SLI and a q9550 with the 620w which doesn't seem that pathetic to me ;)

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

yeh higher watt seasonics are good on that but lower ends are like 17amps

ok QUESTION for who know answer

TX650W Module PSU can i take module cables off the TX and replace that TX with another Module Corsair PSU are theses cables same on all Module PSU?

asking this due to fact my cable management takes long time on this custom rig and thus why i was considering this Dual PSU setup but if i can reuse my Cables due fact they are modular then il go buy 1000w or 900w PSU from cosair or even antec if they use same modular cables