Sign in with
Your question

PSU modding to feed ONLY a 5830

Last response: in Components
March 6, 2012 10:32:36 AM

Okay guys, here's a question from a guy on budget.....I bought a 5830 (was going for 4870 but then got lucky with prices) and a 500 W frontech PSU.
Now, the PSU only has two molex, two sata a 20 pin, a 4 pin...and another 4 pin, which has one 12 V wire.
I think it has 12V on only one rail because its not stated anywhere. I ran into a pickle....you see, the card i ordered, is a power hungry one....and its documented to eat upto 175 @stock. and the card has no PCI-e connectors and has just one 4 pin connector, split into two! So even if I'd wanna use a 4 to 6 pin convertor, I am short of two 4 pin connectors.
Rather, what I've planned is....use this PSU EXCLUSIVELY for the card....i.e. jump the Green and Black and just splice all the 12V lines (luckily exactly 6 of them) and 6 ground lines....directly into two PCI-e 6 pin connectors.
I'll pretty much take out all the 12V wires (yellow ones) and take out 6 of the black ones, and slice them together with the 4 pin to 6 pins connectors I get with the card.
The 12V rail is written to provide 24 amps btw. so thats a solid amount of wattage going into the card... is it safe? I'll be using all the 12V wires....from the 20 pin molex, the 4 pin (with two 12V wires), the other 4 pin (one 4 pin wire), the 4 pin molex and pretty much from everything.
Its a pretty cheap PSU, do cheap PSUs have a single 12V rail or am I missing something?
Thanks! Cheers!

More about : psu modding feed 5830

a c 694 ) Power supply
March 6, 2012 10:54:58 AM

My advice is get a modern quality PSU with all the connectors you need since most components in your system need +12 volts. That PSU will be struggling running your new HD5830.
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2012 10:58:56 AM

rolli59 said:
My advice is get a modern quality PSU with all the connectors you need since most components in your system need +12 volts. That PSU will be struggling running your new HD5830.

I know this PSU wont be enough to power the other components AND the gpu.....thats why I have another 450 W PSU powering the rest of my computer.....This one is ONLY for the 5830! I'll jump this one and use it to power just the card and nothing else, maybe 2-3 fans but they'd need not a lot of power anyways.

Also, I'm wallet dry so new PSU is not an option :/ 
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
March 6, 2012 11:01:22 AM

I will still recommend against it. The GPU gets 75 watts of power through the slot (other PSU) and the rest from the external connections.
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:22:10 AM

I like your idea, and in theory should work just fine assuming you can yet them switching on and off together and mount them in the case well BUT it could go wrong so easily. I would also recommend a new power supply. It's not worth the risk of toasting your whole PC
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:28:53 AM

If i jump the 500 W PSU WITHOUT splicing it in the main 450 W PSU....I mean, the 500W one will be jumped with the paper clip method.....is there any chance that the card might face a power surge?
and yeah i know, a new PSU would be so much simpler.....but damn the stupid economy! lol
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:35:48 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Good_Signal

Getting all the finer points of the supply working just right would be too hard. Yes you could get a bad surge caused by 1 supply reporting a good supply whilst the other is still coming up on a good supply.
m
l
March 6, 2012 12:09:25 PM

hmm... I need to rethink then.....
also, If i'd supply all of the power to the card, is there any chance, that it'd suffer from being fed TOO MUCH power?
m
l
!