P67 Asrock Extreme 4 gen3 won't detect SATA

Acebeans

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
My system has been running stable for over a year now and last night I ran into some problems that has left me without a PC. I was doing some regular browsing last night when I get a BSOD. Then on the next start up I get a boot MGR missing, after doing a short amount of research I assumed it was the SSD that was causing the issues. At that time the SSD was the only drive that wasn't being detected by the bios, my other two platter drives were being detected.

I pulled out the SSD and started doing a reinstall of Windows on one of the regular HDD's. Everything seemed to be working ok, install went fine so I started installing the drivers again and bam get another BSOD. Same issue except now the BIOS wont detect any of the drives. I've tried switching all the cables and sata ports but now I can not get the bios to recognize any of the drives.

I don't know what to do next. Anyone have any ideas?

Zjenep

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Maybe the SATA controller in the PCH (chipset) died, or something is wrong with the PSU.

Your board has 4 SATA2 and 2 SATA3 ports controlled by the Intel PCH, plus 2 SATA3 ports connected to a Marvell SE9120 controller. If in UEFI setup you set the Marvell ports to be bootable, then devices connected there should also show up in UEFI setup or in the F11 boot menu.

If devices show up when connected to the Marvell controller but not when connected to the Intel PCH, then the PCH is probably faulty.

If the devices do not show up when connected to either of the controllers, then try another PSU.

Also try clearCMOS.

Acebeans

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011

Im on a tablet so please excuse my typos. The problem persists when i connect them to either ports, the intel or marvell sata ports. Ive taken everything apart to try to pinpoint the issur. Ive used both sticks of ram, tried both video cards sperately, cleared cmos, remove the battery and just everythimg i can think of but still have the issue.

What seems strange about it to me is beingable to clear cmos and the drives will appear again. The system will run for about an hour then it will bsod again.

The one thing i havent tested is the psu, i do noy have another but i did purchase a multimeter today. Ill be testing the psu witb it tomorrow but if itcomea back ok would you say its safe to say its the motherboard? I find it strange that both sata controllers would fail at the same time and they are detextable intially after clearing cmos but i just dont know really.

Thanks for responding! Again sorry about grammar and spelling.

Acebeans

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Also forgot to mention that before the PC BSOD's the CPU will go under heavy load. I'm thinking that's because it's trying to fetch information from the HDD but isn't able to? Anyways, thought that was worth mentioning.