knixter

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I am trying to share my 'Net connection between two computers.
I have successfully set up a home network and can see/share file between the two.
Comp one (host) connects to the 'Net with an internal wireless card, it's able to connect without any issues using the free service my town provides but comp two cannot connect

Comp one uses a Netgear WN311B internal wireless card with an external antenna for the 'Net connection
It uses the on board Realtek RTL8139/810x family to connect to the hub

Comp two uses the onboard Nvidia Nforce 10/100/1000 adapter to connect to the hub

Both comps are XP SP3 running the Windows firewall and I have used the ICS Wizard several times with no luck

Help me please :cry:

G

Your description is a bit confusing.

The normal way to connect two computers to internet is to user a router and each computer connects to the router using either wireless or ethernet cable. There is no role for ICS in such a setup.

So what is this hub ?

The way ICS is used is that one computer is connected to the internet by whatever means and the second is linked to the first computer by ethernet cable (usually crossover type).

knixter

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
The hub is an Linksys 4 port network hub, we used it when we had cable and it's working fine for the home network. Comp one has a stable connection, I am using it right now so I would like to know if I can share the net I am using now with the other comp on my home network

G

The issue is probably to do with IP address -- if use ICS connected as I described ICS fixes the IP address. I'm sure you realised already that you have to turn off Firewall on both machines while making a new connection.

I'd stop using the hub and buy a router -- it's the normal solution to sharing a connection whether with Cable or DSL service.

knixter

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I feel like an idiot :heink: It is a "router" not a hub, I apologize, I got my names mixed up. It's a Linksys BEFW11S4, it is a wireless "b" router but I am using it as a hard wire. The same one I used with the cable connection

G

1) "So it doesn't matter that I have the network up and running?"

You turn off firewall, set up the problem connection, turn on firewall.

2) "It's an internal card that connects me to the net, like an old dial-up modem."

Not familiar with these. But sounds like you need to use ICS with an ethernet crossover cable between the computer with a card and the second computer.

The normal setup is: stand-alone cable or DSL modem --- by ethernet -- to router --- by wireless or ethernet -- to computer(s)

OR combined DSL modem/router ---by ethernet or wireless --- to computers

knixter

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Happy New Year :bounce:

Thanks for the reply, haven't tried turning off the firewall, if that doesn't work, I'll try to scrounge up a crossover to replace the router

Best way to describe the card is it does the same thing a USB dongle for laptops. It connects to a hotspot (the one my town provides in this case) but it's an internal PCI card with an external antenna, the antenna is connected by about 3 foot of wire which is why I chose it, it's easier to move around to get the best signal

G

The problem with devices like this (including USB cellphone internet dongles and USB DSL modems) is that they are principally designed for single user. Trying to share them will tend to involve a messy solution like ICS.

In the case of USB DSL modems I have replaced them with a full DSL router.

The makers are catching on to this issue with cellphone-type-internet routers but these are still expensive.

knixter

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Here's the Ipconfig

Comp 1 Host

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : KNIX

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : RangeMax(tm) NEXT Wireless Adapter WN311B

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-91-F5-5E-B5-4B

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.6.4.154

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.6.4.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.4.10.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.4.10.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 01, 2011 4:40:53 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 01, 2011 6:40:53 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-31-11-93-51

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Comp 2

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : emachine-98e05c

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Networking Controller #2

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-16-F0-2D-93

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, December 31, 2010 9:37:24 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, January 02, 2011 9:37:24 PM