Sign in with
Your question

Is a Driver needed for a PS/2 keyboard connected through USB

Last response: in Components
March 6, 2012 1:18:27 PM

There is a problem connecting a PS/2 keyboard to a USB port of a laptop using a special cable.

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 says that a USB device cannot be recognized after you plug it in.

Different PS/2 devices - Genius K639 keyboard and a mouse - connected via this cable do not get recognized by Windows XP.

The same happens on a Windows XP desktop and another laptop which is under Windows 7 Home. The latter system does not report any errors at all, just the devices are not working.

The cable is made by DH&R, model is USB012A (AM/MD6F 0.15M). There is an inscription on the cable: “High speed cable 2.0 version 28AWG/1P+24AWG/2C”.
Photo:

Please let me know how one can make a PS/2 device work through a USB port.

Thank you!
March 6, 2012 2:17:28 PM

It's the compatible issue...I mostly use one use to 2 PS/2 for notebook and it work...something like this
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

When it is working I never change..

When you buy the one you have ... do you see any reviewon that parts...?

By the way also related to the keyboard compatible issue. Which Keyboard you have?
March 6, 2012 2:17:40 PM

If your system won't recognize the keyboard because it is running through an adapter, then there is nothing you can do, except to buy a USB keyboard.
March 6, 2012 6:09:26 PM

Hi :) 

My shops sell those adaptors....

Here is a hint...

To make those adaptors work you NEED a MOUSE or Keyboard that DESIGNED internally to run on BOTH USB and PS2...

If you plug them into a standard mouse or keyboard, they wont work....

All the best Brett :) 

!