4870 (CF) Some random 750
Power Supply Some random 2x2 1600 Ram
HAF-X case
Force 3 120G SSD
1TB+ JBOD HDD's

Was thinking 2x 6950 (fan of the ASUS 6950 Direct CUII
1k+ PSU (for the new GPU's)
Some triple channel RAM

Additional thoughts: The mobo is dated and does not let me take advantage of the front USB 3.0

Basically have one last chunk of money on upgrades and will not have a chance to revisit the RIG for upgrades again for quite some time and am having a hard time figuring out my best bang for my bucks.

Any help or suggestions are welcome.

MCMK

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
I guess I did not really go in-depth on what kinda info I was looking for in this thread. Let me expand on that.

My GPU's are dated and am considering the one listed in the OP . However I would like them in CF but they are HUGE. What mobo would even accommodate them so they could breath? I do like AMD but as torn as they seem to be having a hard time with AA.

Then there is the eternal debate over the cf/sli vs a single top tier GPU that I am still unsure of.

My x6 AMD processor, from what the interweb is saying, is not being utilized properly by a lot of software and seems, in come cases, to be lacking even behind the x4 models.

That said with 1000 how could I change the config to be optimal mix of CPU, GPU (and PSU i would imagine) with that dollar amount.

It would be most helpful if someone had models to reference as I do enjoy looking things up and researching further options I have not considered.

Thanks

New 7000 series cards are due out at about your purchase time frame. But the high end cards won't be out till later, as will kepler.

From a graphics point of view, you can go with a single GTX580 and a 600w psu. Or, you could go cf 6850 and a 750w psu for about the same price.
GTX580 will be more consistent, but cf 6950 will give you better fps benchmarks. Budget about $500-$600 for either depending on if you can reuse your current psu.

For the cpu, you have discovered that core count past 2 or three is not much use for gaming. Core power is. A X4 is a good gaming chip in the mid priced range, but will not be significantly better than your X6.

If you want a big change, the Intel 2500K is by far the best gaming cpu, plan on $200 there.

A P67 or X68 based motherboard will be $100 if a single card will do, or $150 if you need cf/sli.

4gb is a bit short on ram. If you can manage 64 bit, then get an extra 4gb. A matched 8gb kit will ba $50 or so.

That comes neatly to your $1000 budget. Shop well, and you can do better.