Did i fail to pick a good PSU? :(

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Reviews
  • Rosewill
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 6, 2012 2:37:39 PM

i bought the rosewill rg530 PSU and wondering if i made the right choice.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

im starting to wonder how trust worthy is newegg's product ratings because when i check the 1star reviews they are all DOA products :( 

but when i think about it, not everyone goes back and reviews th product and all the people who get DOAS ould go back to complain.
but back to the main question...did i fail on picking my, PSU as in quality.

More about : fail pick good psu

March 6, 2012 2:52:23 PM

Rosewill is a more budget/entry level company overall, that being said, 80 Plus certification is an industry standard, not something the company marketing can slap on to make it sound better. 80Plus is a power efficiency rating, not an endurance rating so how long will it last? I've built plenty of computers in my day and i've had plenty of "Generic" PSU's outlast the fancy name brand PSU's and i've had generics go bad as well.

I looked at the reviews, and the whole DOA thing is not such a big deal, it is annoying if your waiting on a PSU and need it immediately but it looks like once you've received a working PSU, there arent any people complaining about them dying after 30 days.

I think your safe
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 6, 2012 2:59:54 PM

Yep, when something is 80+. Jgut is right. it must actually pass the tests, Whoever does the tests.....You know its kinda like the health inspector grading a restrant.
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2012 5:55:48 PM

Rosewill is not a top-tier brand, but they've gotten a lot better reputation than they used to have. I'd say you're OK.

The 80-plus certification is usually a good sign if a PSU has it, but don't take it as the be-all, end-all. I've had PSUs with that label on it that turned out to be total crap - dead within two years. Basically it guarantees that it's not going to be junk right out of the box, which helps weed out the super-crap cheapo brands.
m
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
March 6, 2012 8:35:37 PM

Umm passing an 80+ test indicates nothing about the quality of a unit.
Why are you guy's under the impression an 80+ cert. is a quality indicator?
It certifies products that have more than 80% energy efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% of rated load, and a power factor of 0.9 or greater at 100% load.
That's it!
However i think the OP chose a decent psu.
OP you could have done alot worse.
Personally i would have bought something else with a 3yr warranty.
Antec,Corsair,or OCZ.
m
l
March 6, 2012 8:50:25 PM

yes i was going to buy the crosair czx 530 but i saw that this one just went on sale to a price of only 49$ and i was on tight budget..used to be $80 o.o
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
March 6, 2012 10:20:40 PM

bluhavoc13 said:
i bought the rosewill rg530 PSU and wondering if i made the right choice.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

im starting to wonder how trust worthy is newegg's product ratings because when i check the 1star reviews they are all DOA products :( 

but when i think about it, not everyone goes back and reviews th product and all the people who get DOAS ould go back to complain.
but back to the main question...did i fail on picking my, PSU as in quality.

no you did NOT FAIL at picking a "good" PSU.

it just isn't the best; don't expect to put two power hungry grfx cards on it in Xfire or sli . .
m
l
March 6, 2012 10:37:22 PM

just dont want one that is gonna just stop working or not work at all
my parts arriving are radeon 6870 i3 2120 h61 atx 2x2 ram
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
March 6, 2012 11:13:10 PM

Only good series from rosewill is the capstone stuff.
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:24:10 PM

so my build should run fine on this PSU right?...i just dont want it to blow my parts up or something
m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
March 6, 2012 11:47:06 PM

your fine.
AMD Radeon™ HD 6870 Graphics
two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors

include the 75watts coming through your PCI-e slot, 225 watts max draw that it won't come close to, 65 watts max for your CPU ( which in all likelihood won't go past 45), 10 watts for your hard drive.

that 300 watts w/o any added bells and whistles.
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:49:06 PM

so i dont really get the warranty or safty precaution for like if the PSU blows up or somthing that ruins other parts
m
l

Best solution

a c 275 ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 5:07:42 AM

bluhavoc13 said:
so i dont really get the warranty or safty precaution for like if the PSU blows up or somthing that ruins other parts

Dude! you chose a decent psu imo.
I never go by Newegg user feedback ratings.
Only read them for the entertainment value.
Less then 30% have anything useful to relate and the rest are useless drivel.
March 7, 2012 3:43:04 PM

Best answer selected by bluhavoc13.
m
l
!