Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DuoCore E6850 3ghz + Asus P5n-D newbie Overclocking

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 6, 2012 2:40:25 PM

Hello :) 
Im very new to overclocking and had very little experience with it before.
But as iv looked trough the internet i think i got it.
First of all my DuoCore E6850 seems to be a legend within overclocking communities. As well as my motherboard which should be quite good to.

So Increas Front side Bus (FSB) until it gets unstable, than take it down til its stable. Than increas voltage in small steps while keeping an eye on the temprature. Than i can increas the FSB a bit more right?

I havent understod yet, how to deal with or OC the RAM so i guess ill keep the bios setting to linked.

My cpu isnt open so cant modify the multiplayer.

Im using cpu-z and Fan speed. Are this good enough or should i get something els.

And for testing stability im not sure what to use or whats best. As there are so many softwares for just that.
Thx a lot by a newbie overclocker.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 6, 2012 3:12:56 PM

For stability use Prime95 or Intel Burn Test. You should also get an aftermarket cooler.
You didn't mention what RAM you have. Basically divide you RAM by 2 and that's the maximum FSB you can use safely with a memory multiplier of 2.
Example: you have some DDR2 800MHz RAM. That would mean a maximum FSB of 400.
March 6, 2012 3:36:31 PM

Ah i see. Well i got 2x
DIMM1: Corsair 2GB
XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5 DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM
(5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 MHz)
Didnt know there was a multiplayer for RAM.

Related resources
March 6, 2012 3:55:44 PM

RAM multiplier options only exist if you motherboard actually supports it. If you can't find it, don't even bother, if you insist it should hurt your overall stability if not sets properly. What akxpckwb mentions also correct.

Just keep in mind, overclocking is opposed to longevity. I hope you understand the risk before even doing it.
March 6, 2012 4:02:13 PM

Yeha its not risk free but, its fun and I want to learn and experience more.
Whene i try overclock now 400 is still my max FSB limit right, even though i dont have a multiplayer on the ram.
Should i go with linked or unlinked. and 400 FSB i dont think i can get that hige now and still be stable and at ok temps.
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2012 4:30:46 PM

for now go unlinked and leave the ram speed on automatic. The p5n-d will adjust the ram speed as needed to keep it as close to the default speed of 800. You may end up with the ram at 780 or something random but that will not impact you much if your CPU is up 800mhz. Once you got your CPU running at a clock you are happy with then start messing with the ram.

Keep in mind the p5n-d north bridge and the x16-x16 pci bridge chip are both under that giant north bridge cooler. Make sure to use the fan that Asus provided or that NB will get hot quick.

Another note, the p5n-d is notorius for cpu v-core drop. As the cpu gets stressed the voltage actually drops causing instabilities. If you have this issue google p5n-d vcore pencil mod. It went along way to getting my quad 3.0 to 3.8. on stock voltages.
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2012 4:32:17 PM

just another note... Dont burn out your board because they cost more now used on e-bay then they did when i bought mine new 4 years ago.
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 6, 2012 4:32:29 PM

With an nVidia chipset and BIOS, try running the memory in "linked" mode. That will automatically select a memory clock that is two times the FSB freq.

Your core speed will be 3.6 GHz with a 400 MHz FSB freq. If you find yourself lucky enough to work past that, you should be able to squeeze out a little more memory performance by relaxing the memory timing to 6-6-6-20 or even 24 and increasing the mem voltage to 2.2 volts.

Keep your core voltage under 1.50 volts and your load temps under 70 C.
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2012 6:33:39 PM

aleksanderness said:
Yeha its not risk free but, its fun and I want to learn and experience more.
Whene i try overclock now 400 is still my max FSB limit right, even though i dont have a multiplayer on the ram.
Should i go with linked or unlinked. and 400 FSB i dont think i can get that hige now and still be stable and at ok temps.


Hi :) 

Its not risk free MEANS ...

You can and people often do BURN out your CPU and motherboard....

I see it in my shops several times a week...

All the best Brett :) 
March 6, 2012 6:59:26 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Its not risk free MEANS ...

You can and people often do BURN out your CPU and motherboard....

I see it in my shops several times a week...

All the best Brett :) 


Why, Brett...should that be a better situation for your business too? :p 

With more people thinks they know what they're doing and ended up messing things up, will going to be their only reason to buy some new stuff to replace it. They call it "sports" not for nothing, if you know what I mean :D 

I give up on overclocking a long time a go. Still, I wish OP a good luck with his attempt.
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2012 7:26:20 PM

rush21hit said:
Why, Brett...should that be a better situation for your business too? :p 

With more people thinks they know what they're doing and ended up messing things up, will going to be their only reason to buy some new stuff to replace it. They call it "sports" not for nothing, if you know what I mean :D 

I give up on overclocking a long time a go. Still, I wish OP a good luck with his attempt.



Hi :) 

Lol.. :) 

Well we do sell mobos and cpus to them, so I shouldnt complain but I just hate seeing the waste....

As "Overclocking" now seems to be the in thing to do....

I just wish that people (particularly teenagers) realised what the consequences can be :( 

I had a young lad come in around a week ago....he had bought everything he needed from us to build a machine...he got it up and running all fine...then decided to overclock it...we had warned him in advance :( 

After spending a weekend trying it...(X6 1100T) on an asus board.... he brought his machine in on monday morning as it was dead...

He "thought" as we guarantee everything we sell that we would replace his cpu and mobo....

He was a little upset when we told him it was at HIS cost not ours as he had already told us what he had tried...

He bought a new board and CPU ...which we fitted for free,,,,,,,and we also told him we would put a Bios password on ...and not tell him what it was lol...

He rang to say its running fine now...

All the best Brett :) 
March 6, 2012 8:05:59 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Lol.. :) 

Well we do sell mobos and cpus to them, so I shouldnt complain but I just hate seeing the waste....

As "Overclocking" now seems to be the in thing to do....

I just wish that people (particularly teenagers) realised what the consequences can be :( 

I had a young lad come in around a week ago....he had bought everything he needed from us to build a machine...he got it up and running all fine...then decided to overclock it...we had warned him in advance :( 

After spending a weekend trying it...(X6 1100T) on an asus board.... he brought his machine in on monday morning as it was dead...

He "thought" as we guarantee everything we sell that we would replace his cpu and mobo....

He was a little upset when we told him it was at HIS cost not ours as he had already told us what he had tried...

He bought a new board and CPU ...which we fitted for free,,,,,,,and we also told him we would put a Bios password on ...and not tell him what it was lol...

He rang to say its running fine now...

All the best Brett :) 


One of the best story I heard on a failed attempt :lol: 

And your story emphasize my point even far more. It's a good thing you teach that young lad a lesson. And a good thing you lock the BIOS too.

People tend to get the impression that as long as it's on the 1st years replace warranty they can do whatever they like with it, and I'd like them to think of it this way: Suppose if you somehow manage the 1st years on OCing the heck out of it without needs for replacement since things seems to go smoothly, what would you think for the longevity of said items for years to come? Even if you downclock them to stock speeds, the damage's been done. Either you realize it or feel it by each time of daily use or not, it will broke off at some point. Those things are man made after all.

Or even if you somehow break it within 1st year usage, be it by OC or just common mass produce flaw that happens occasionally, and get replaced, will you really consider to OC them again? If you are on a budget, I don't think so.

AFAIK, ideally, a common sense of overclocking should not go way above 10-20% of stock performance to secure longevity, despite whatever reason, for say if you even manage for it to run cool by a far better cooling solutions. Even by that little boost, it should not keep stayed that way for far too long. I doubt that even for i5 2500K OCers that goes way above that would stable for a very long term use, as the longevity inevitably should decrease over time. Thus also inevitably decrease its value, despite the performance boost it boast. I forgot what they call it, a electron migration perhaps, cmiiw.

I'm not saying I'm against overclocking for the bang for buck, I'm saying the longevity is the true bang for buck really. Plus, who needs an insanely overclocked CPU to just dies off by a years or so? Either you truly are afford to do so or just some curiosity, I see it pointless. Even today's CPU roundup be it Intel or AMD are compelling enough at their respected clock speed for any apps you throw at them. Same goes for GPU and any other latest components to date.

If you need a significant boost of a performance for a short while in a dire situation, now that's a whole different story. Let say, doing a combined internet calculation as fast as possible with said hardware before a planetary cataclysmic eruption wipes off the entire life form on earth? ...well that's just another poetic note. :) 
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2012 9:27:46 PM

Hi :) 

Good points :) 

The lad was not happy about the Bios password, but when he told us he was trying to reach 6 ghz...I really had little choice...

I gave him two options....

NO Bios password and he lost his warranty on the whole machine or WITH a Bios Password and I would give him a fresh years warranty...and the labour for free...

He chose the latter... :) 

All the best Brett :) 
!