PlayStation 3 to emerge ahead of Xbox 2 at E3

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7881

Rob Fahey 09:41 08/04/2005

Scheduling clash prompts media fears, gives PS3 a short head-start over
Xbox 2

The PlayStation 3 looks set to be the first of the next-generation
consoles to take a bow in front of the world's media - albeit only by a
matter of hours, with Sony announcing that its pre-E3 conference will
take place just ahead of Microsoft's.

Sony will hold its event on a sound stage in Sony Pictures' complex in
Culver City, just outside Los Angeles, at 15.00 PST on Monday, May
16th, and is expected to show off the next-generation PlayStation for
the first time at this event.

Three hours later at 18.00 PST, Microsoft will kick off its own event
in downtown Los Angeles, where it is expected to finally take the wraps
off the next-generation Xbox, currently known only by its development
codename Xenon.

The scheduling is threatening a headache for media and industry types
who need to attend both events, since if the Sony event runs on for a
while it could be quite tough to get from Culver City back into
downtown LA in time for the 6pm kick-off with Microsoft.

Outline hardware specifications for both systems are fairly well known;
the Sony system uses the custom Cell processor, created in partnership
with IBM, and a next-gen NVIDIA graphics chipset, while Microsoft has
opted for standard IBM Power-series processors and an ATI graphics
solution.

However, a number of key elements remain to be confirmed, such as the
amount of RAM in the systems, the type of media they will use - PS3 is
expected to use high capacity Blu-Ray discs, while Xbox may well stick
with the current DVD technology - and whether either will feature a
hard drive

Of course, what many consumers will want to know is simply what the
devices look like, with the external appearance of both systems being
kept a closely guarded secret so far - and, indeed, what they're
called, as neither company is expected to use the obvious "PlayStation
3" and "Xbox 2" naming scheme.
9 answers Last reply
More about playstation emerge ahead xbox
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    On 4/8/2005 12:55 PM, Radeon350@yahoo.com spake thusly:

    > Scheduling clash prompts media fears, gives PS3 a short head-start over
    > Xbox 2

    The briefing schedule is retarded this year. It's always been Xbox on Monday
    night, Sony on Tuesday morning and Nintendo immediately after. Now Sony's
    going in the middle afternoon on Monday for no apparent reason, announcing
    this AFTER many people have booked their flights to arrive in LA Monday
    afternoon. And their briefings always start late and go about 2.5 hours --
    good luck getting from Culver City to Hollywood in a timely fashion during
    rush hour. Thanks, Sony. Asshats.

    > "PlayStation
    > 3" and "Xbox 2" naming scheme.

    PlayStation 3, Xbox 360. Nintendo's machine is the only real question mark,
    though I think they should stick with Revolution.

    -Z-
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    In article <1112986523.646816.196760@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Radeon350@yahoo.com says...

    >http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7881
    >
    >Rob Fahey 09:41 08/04/2005
    >
    >Scheduling clash prompts media fears, gives PS3 a short head-start over
    >Xbox 2
    >
    >The PlayStation 3 looks set to be the first of the next-generation
    >consoles to take a bow in front of the world's media - albeit only by a
    >matter of hours, with Sony announcing that its pre-E3 conference will
    >take place just ahead of Microsoft's.
    >
    >Sony will hold its event on a sound stage in Sony Pictures' complex in
    >Culver City, just outside Los Angeles, at 15.00 PST on Monday, May
    >16th, and is expected to show off the next-generation PlayStation for
    >the first time at this event.
    >
    >Three hours later at 18.00 PST, Microsoft will kick off its own event
    >in downtown Los Angeles, where it is expected to finally take the wraps
    >off the next-generation Xbox, currently known only by its development
    >codename Xenon.
    >
    >The scheduling is threatening a headache for media and industry types
    >who need to attend both events, since if the Sony event runs on for a
    >while it could be quite tough to get from Culver City back into
    >downtown LA in time for the 6pm kick-off with Microsoft.
    >
    >Outline hardware specifications for both systems are fairly well known;
    >the Sony system uses the custom Cell processor, created in partnership
    >with IBM, and a next-gen NVIDIA graphics chipset, while Microsoft has
    >opted for standard IBM Power-series processors and an ATI graphics
    >solution.
    >
    >However, a number of key elements remain to be confirmed, such as the
    >amount of RAM in the systems, the type of media they will use - PS3 is
    >expected to use high capacity Blu-Ray discs, while Xbox may well stick
    >with the current DVD technology - and whether either will feature a
    >hard drive
    >
    >Of course, what many consumers will want to know is simply what the
    >devices look like, with the external appearance of both systems being
    >kept a closely guarded secret so far - and, indeed, what they're
    >called, as neither company is expected to use the obvious "PlayStation
    >3" and "Xbox 2" naming scheme.

    Oh the drama!

    Zackman <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote:
    >The briefing schedule is retarded this year. It's always been Xbox on Monday
    >night, Sony on Tuesday morning and Nintendo immediately after. Now Sony's
    >going in the middle afternoon on Monday for no apparent reason, announcing
    >this AFTER many people have booked their flights to arrive in LA Monday
    >afternoon.

    In a much smaller scale, sounds like Sega debuting the Saturn
    before anyone, including the media and retailers, was ready.

    --
    "Ed is the standard text editor."
    -Patrick J. LoPresti

    Well either way, I'd give my left.. uh.. arm to be at the Sony
    conference. I can't believe how close E3 is already.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    Radeon350@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Of course, what many consumers will want to know is simply what the
    > devices look like, with the external appearance of both systems being
    > kept a closely guarded secret so far - and, indeed, what they're
    > called, as neither company is expected to use the obvious
    "PlayStation
    > 3" and "Xbox 2" naming scheme.

    While I agree that people do want to know the physical appearance of
    the systems, I fully expect Sony to call it the Playstation 3, possibly
    just PS3. They might not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

    (after all, their commercials already indicate they expect to have a
    PS9, so you need the intervening numbers :-)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    "Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
    > On 4/8/2005 12:55 PM, Radeon350@yahoo.com spake thusly:
    >
    > > Scheduling clash prompts media fears, gives PS3 a short head-start over
    > > Xbox 2
    >
    > The briefing schedule is retarded this year. It's always been Xbox on
    Monday
    > night, Sony on Tuesday morning and Nintendo immediately after. Now Sony's
    > going in the middle afternoon on Monday for no apparent reason, announcing
    > this AFTER many people have booked their flights to arrive in LA Monday
    > afternoon. And their briefings always start late and go about 2.5 hours --
    > good luck getting from Culver City to Hollywood in a timely fashion during
    > rush hour. Thanks, Sony. Asshats.

    Agreed. This is getting stupid. Now MS is going to use MTV to reveal the
    Xbox 360 before Sony. Pretty soon you'll have companies making
    announcements on the last day of E3 to be "first" for the next year!

    It's starting to become just like the states battling for primary elections.
    A few years ago, California legislators decided that they didn't like having
    their primary election held so long after other states (by that time, the
    nominees for both parties are already decided). So they voted to move the
    date up to get ahead of other states. Smart move...until other states
    responded by moving their primary elections even earlier.

    If companies continue to schedule "pre-E3" announcements and press
    conferences ahead of the show in an attempt to "scoop" the competition,
    eventually there will be no need for E3 in the first place...at least, not
    for the press.

    > > "PlayStation
    > > 3" and "Xbox 2" naming scheme.
    >
    > PlayStation 3, Xbox 360. Nintendo's machine is the only real question
    mark,
    > though I think they should stick with Revolution.
    >
    > -Z-

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    Radeon350@yahoo.com wrote:
    > http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7881

    > Sony will hold its event on a sound stage in Sony Pictures' complex
    in
    > Culver City, just outside Los Angeles, at 15.00 PST on Monday, May
    > 16th, and is expected to show off the next-generation PlayStation for
    > the first time at this event.

    Anyone who really cares will be too busy standing in line for Star Wars
    to notice. :^)

    - Jordan
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    Jordan wrote:
    > Anyone who really cares will be too busy standing in line for Star
    Wars
    > to notice. :^)

    My bad. Apparently "Leapfrog" is going to be the big game in May this
    year.

    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7919

    Xbox 2 to be unveiled on MTV on May 12th
    Rob Fahey 12:45 11/04/2005

    Next-gen Xbox wins the race to be seen first despite Sony's conference
    shuffling antics

    Microsoft's next-generation Xbox console is set to be unveiled to the
    world not at E3, as was previously believed, but in a half-hour long
    special to be aired on MTV the week previously, on May 12th.

    The move is a massive break with tradition on Microsoft's part, and
    will get the Xbox 2 in front of consumers several days ahead of the
    unveiling of Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Revolution in Los
    Angeles the following week.

    "It doesn't make sense to unveil the product behind a closed door, at a
    trade-only event," according to Microsoft corporate VP Peter Moore. "We
    wanted to talk directly to the consumer first."

    The half-hour show will be a star studded affair, hosted by Lord of the
    Rings actor Elijah Wood and featuring a range of athletes, celebrities
    and even a live performance from rock band The Killers.

    Last week it emerged that Sony's pre-E3 press conference has been
    scheduled to take place a few hours ahead of Microsoft's event,
    reversing the running order of previous years and supposedly giving the
    PS3 a head-start over Xbox 2 in the coverage war.

    Xbox 2 - or whatever the console is eventually called, as it's believed
    that both Microsoft and Sony have ditched the sequential numbering
    system for their new machines - will be launched late this year, with
    an October / November date currently on the cards. Neither Sony nor
    Nintendo is expected to launch new hardware until 2006.

    Microsoft is also running a viral marketing game to lead up to the May
    12th unveiling of Xbox 2, with the "OurColony" game mimicking many
    features of the hugely successful Halo 2 "I Love Bees" viral game, and
    giving players tantalising sneak peeks at some aspects of the console
    and controller's design - although so far the main info to be gleaned
    is that the controller is probably white, which ties in with reports
    from sources close to Microsoft that it has gone with a white colour
    scheme for the system this time around.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

    "Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Jordan wrote:
    >> Anyone who really cares will be too busy standing in line for Star
    > Wars
    >> to notice. :^)
    >
    > My bad. Apparently "Leapfrog" is going to be the big game in May this
    > year.

    yup. the "PlayStation 3 to emerge ahead of Xbox 2 at E3" has now been
    blown out of the water with Microsoft's announcement of the MTV unvieling on
    May 12th.

    for now, until Sony announces their latest plan, lol.

Console Gaming Sony Games Video Xbox PlayStation Video Games