Solution
You need to go to the specific motherboard OEM site and look for CPU/BIOS support.

Most AMD folks have blogs associated with their specialty and would have no specific knowledge about OEM motherboards and CPU support.

loneninja

Distinguished
The AM3+ socket is required for the FX series of processors based on Bulldozer.

AM3 supports Athlon II/Phenom II
AM3+ supports Athlon II/Phenom II/FX

AM3+ also brought back SLI to AMD motherboards too, really isn't anything else different.

Slickrick214

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

What do you mean. I always thought that AMD and Nvidia video cards were compatible with both AMD and Intel boards. Also I thought that both boards could SLI or crossfire as long as you have atleast two PCI-e slots.

They are compatible as single cards, however Socket AM3 did not support SLI. However it did support CrossfireX. When NVidia was in the chipset business, their chipsets supported SLI but not CrossfireX. Intel's chipsets have supported both SLI and CrossfireX for several generations now

Nope.

Gotta be AM3+ for both (unless you are/were willing to try the 'SLI Hack')

The Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ is $120 after rebate if you are feeling froggy.

It's a decent mobo -- you will have to go $30 or so more, minimum, to leap up into 990FX territory

loneninja

Distinguished

Basically, Nvidia didn't allow SLI to function on ATI chipsets which almost all AM3 motherboards use, probably due to them no longer making motherboard chipsets they now allow SLI on new ATI/AMD chipsets. 890FX no SLI, 990FX gets SLI.

Slickrick214

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

I was just wondering I don't plan on getting a new motherboard. The next gaming build I do is going to be Intel, probably Haswell. I'm done with AMD.

There was talk about how 800 series AMD chipsets would theoretically run AM3+ CPUs with a BIOS update, but it would not be supported by AMD and was up to the motherboard manufacturer to determine if it was possible and if they wanted to do so .there are also some 700 and 800 chipets being sold as AM3+ boards, usually denoted with a G following the chipset number.

So you probably can't run an FX chip if you have a board that was sold as AM3, but just go to the manufacters site and check the BIOS updates and CPU compatibility lists to make sure

chazz111bravo

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

I've been to AMD's site a few times. it's not updated all that well. They have a forum thatnot one actual AMD rep has posted on. Notto mention their vendor list is incorrect as well. Anyhow thanks for the input.

chazz111bravo

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

Really captain obvious. Thanks for clearing that up. :sarcastic: I did go and download the bios for my board. The Asus site said nothing about it being non compatible with win7 drivers. I called 3 asus tech's they had no idea why it wasn't working on my system. This exactly what I MEAN. NOT UP TO DATE. If it aches you to answer then please don't. :non:

chazz111bravo

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

I ended up having to track down a HHD with XP installed to update. It took a 4th tech to finally say send it in for and RMA. Needless to say I gave up on Asus. What a pain but at least its working now.