ASUS HD 6950 DirectCU II 2GB.. mount another cooler??

Solution
reference design coolers usually have one induction style fan near the back and exhausts near the DVI/HDMI connectors (out of the case). Non reference like the one pictured have either multiple fans, or a different style of fan that blows air down and through the cooler, and generally they exhaust into the case.

The non reference ones are usually better and quieter, but also rely on you having a case with decent airflow.

Anyway there's not much point in replacing that DirectCU II cooler - it's very good. Aftermarket will not be any better unless you're going to water cooling lol.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Umm, that GPU cooler doesn't say it'll fit the 6950, so I probably wouldn't even look at it anyway.

Also, the cooler that comes with that 6950 is not a reference design and does its job pretty well as is.

ColeTrain

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

I've build computers before.. but I've never bought a cooler.. so.. I uh.. kinda lost in this department :??:
hey, anyway thanks dude. :) btw.. what do you mean by reference design?

reference design coolers usually have one induction style fan near the back and exhausts near the DVI/HDMI connectors (out of the case). Non reference like the one pictured have either multiple fans, or a different style of fan that blows air down and through the cooler, and generally they exhaust into the case.

The non reference ones are usually better and quieter, but also rely on you having a case with decent airflow.

Anyway there's not much point in replacing that DirectCU II cooler - it's very good. Aftermarket will not be any better unless you're going to water cooling lol.

Solution

ColeTrain

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

I gets it now yay~ I actually been googled for quite sometime now on this topic.. coz I don't know what to type on the google search bar.. TeeHee. :??:

:D