Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which Graphics board

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2011 5:34:37 PM

Hello, I am putting together a computer and would like to know if any of the graphics cards I presently have on hand can be used in my new system? Card 1) e-GeForce FX5500. Card 2) GeForce 9400 GT. Card 3) SAPPHIRE HD 3850.
Other components: MB Sabertooth X58 w/6GB mem, Intel core i7. PWR: ZEPHYR 750 Watt. HDD: Barracuda 1TB.

Thanks, Bob L

More about : graphics board

Best solution

a c 199 U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 5:47:12 PM

Can they be used? If they are PCI Express, then yes, they can be used. Should they be used? If this machine will be used for gaming, only the last one (HD3850) is likely to be usable, and that very likely on low settings.
HEC is not known for quality PSUs, but even if yours is only good for 2/3 of its label, you should be able to run a GTX560 or HD6870 on it.
a b U Graphics card
October 6, 2011 6:03:42 PM

Hello Larriv, You seem to have posted this twice. I replied in your other thread (please refrain from double posting please! It's against the Forum rules). All 3 of those cards are PCI-Express and they technically could be used. The 3850 being the best among them, however they're all severely outdated.
Score
Related resources
October 13, 2011 11:16:11 PM

Best answer selected by larriv.
Score
October 13, 2011 11:17:31 PM

Onus said:
Can they be used? If they are PCI Express, then yes, they can be used. Should they be used? If this machine will be used for gaming, only the last one (HD3850) is likely to be usable, and that very likely on low settings.
HEC is not known for quality PSUs, but even if yours is only good for 2/3 of its label, you should be able to run a GTX560 or HD6870 on it.

Thanks for your reply. It's been many years since I put a system together; it's amazing how rapidly changes come about. None of the cards I have fit any of the slots on the x58 Asus board, so I had to obtain a new PCI Express 2.0 x16 card, and, since I'm not into gaming, I suspect my system represents considerable overkill. Still, it's all a worthwhile learning experience.
Score
October 13, 2011 11:35:27 PM

borisof007 said:
Hello Larriv, You seem to have posted this twice. I replied in your other thread (please refrain from double posting please! It's against the Forum rules). All 3 of those cards are PCI-Express and they technically could be used. The 3850 being the best among them, however they're all severely outdated.

FM: larriv
Thanks borisof007 for your comments, None of the cards mentioned in my post fit into my new Asus x58 board, so I ended up buying a new card. Sorry about the double post, it was accidental. It's the first time I used this board and thought my first post was not successful.
Score
a c 199 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 1:01:22 AM

Thanks. If not for gaming, hopefully you didn't spend a lot of money on it. HD6450 or GT440 would have been good.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
October 15, 2011 1:32:39 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!