Best graphics card to use?

larriv

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hello, I am putting together a computer and would like to know if any of the graphics cards I presently have on hand can be used in my new system? Card 1) e-GeForce FX5500. Card 2) GeForce 9400 GT. Card 3) SAPPHIRE HD 3850.
Other components: MB Sabertooth X58 w/6GB mem, Intel core i7. PWR: ZEPHYR 750 Watt. HDD: Barracuda 1TB.
Thanks, Bob L.

larriv

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Thanks to everyone for comments and suggestions regarding my post. I've been away so long doing this that I'm better described as a newbee. It turns out that none of the cards listed in my original post fits any of the slots on the X58 mobo. The card needs a pci Express 2.0 x 16 slot, or slots, as there are two such slots for dual operation, if that option is chosen. I'm discovering that the array of suitable cards and prices is enough to cause one to click into pause, which I've done. So for in the neantime I picked up a low end card, an Asus 210 Silent. I am personally not into gamming, so that card should do me ok. But my teenage son, confined by the limit of an Xbox 360, might soon be putting the squeeze on for higher graphical capability. If that time comes, it'll be an easy jump.
Thanks agn, larriv

All 3 if the cards you listed are AGP?
You may want to ebay the HD3850. I believe it's the best AGP card that was produced. They are selling for $60-70 still. That alone will get you a card much, much better than the 210(not sure why you got it, entirely useless for gaming.)

larriv

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Thanks, I didn't realise my post was still active. I picked up the Asus card as a cheap temporary fix. The newer PCI-e cards are an enhancement over the AGP cards, so I'll wait a few months then see what's available. The Sabertooth X58 mobo has only PCI Express slots.