Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Not sure type of motherboard is needed for cpu

Last response: in Motherboards
January 11, 2013 12:08:51 PM

I need some one to tell me is there any difference between core i7 and 3rd gen core i7 when chosing a motherboard? This is my first time building a desktop so I'm just looking at components right now. The CPU I'm currently looking at is the

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770

When I looked on newegg and filtered my search when I chose 3rd gen i7 as CPU I only had 3 to chose from and they 2 weren't meant for a gaming build and the last had a very low customer rating. Thanks to anyone who can help me.
a c 559 V Motherboard
a c 114 à CPUs
January 11, 2013 3:40:31 PM

Hi, I would go with Z77 chipset boards. Use this for narrowing your search.
After choosing one, search on the manufacturer site for the CPU Support List and make sure that the CPU is supported without a BIOS update needed.
Most Z77 ASUS boards feature the flashback, that allow you to update the BIOS without starting the board.
m
l
January 11, 2013 4:06:38 PM

Hi,

I recommend the Sabertooth Z77 board to go with this CPU, very good board with tons of features!

Good Luck!
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2013 4:16:38 PM

Don't go for the Sabertooth, highly overrated.... P8z77-V Pro is a quality board for less than the sabertooth.
m
l
a c 253 V Motherboard
a c 331 à CPUs
January 11, 2013 4:30:21 PM

What will you be using the pc for?

If it is for gaming, then the less expensive 3570K would be better.
If it is for cpu bound multithreaded apps, then the 3770K would be better.
The "K" suffix gives you an unlocked multiplier which in conjunction wit a Z77 based socket 1155 motherboard can give you 20% more compute power. The 5% price delta is well worth it in my opinion, even if you do not use it initially.

To answer your original question, the 3770 should run on any socket 1155 motherboard.
The main difference between i5 and i7 is the presence of hyperthreading. It is of little use to the gamer, but the extra threads use residual cycles to do added work.
By now, any new stock will have the requisite bios upgrade.
m
l
a c 89 V Motherboard
a c 99 à CPUs
January 11, 2013 4:40:33 PM

geofelt said:
To answer your original question, the 3770 should run on any socket 1155 motherboard.
The main difference between i5 and i7 is the presence of hyperthreading. It is of little use to the gamer, but the extra threads use residual cycles to do added work.
By now, any new stock will have the requisite bios upgrade.

There is no guarantee that older motherboards with the 6 series chipsets (B65, H61, H67, P67, Z68) will have an updated BIOS that will support the newer CPUs. Better to get a 7 series motherboard. Z77-based if you're getting an overclockable CPU (K suffix).

chugot9218 said:
Don't go for the Sabertooth, highly overrated.... P8z77-V Pro is a quality board for less than the sabertooth.

That's a great board if you want premium features. You can go cheaper if you don't need all the bells and whistles.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a c 79 à CPUs
January 11, 2013 4:42:14 PM

+1 for chugot!! not that Saber is bad or anything but like he said V-pro is far better value for money.

as for your original question, over the three generations of core cpus, second and third use the same LGA 1155 socket. The 3rd gens however are compatible with z77 and b75 mobo out of the box but will require BIOS updates to run on 6 series mobos, h-61, h-67, z-68.

the processor you have chosen has also an overclockable "K" version 3770K. if you do not plan to OC, then you ca go with a quality B75 mobo like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if gaming is your primary focus, you can try core i5 3570K. You would see no difference in most games between the i7 and i5 and what little difference is there is not noticeable.

good luck
-satyam

p.s. going for K processor means going for z77 chipset. the B75 i have linked is not a suggestion rather an example. it is the only one with 3 SATA 6 GB/s ports that i could locate but you must do a thorough research.
a c 253 V Motherboard
a c 331 à CPUs
January 11, 2013 4:48:15 PM

Sakkura said:
There is no guarantee that older motherboards with the 6 series chipsets (B65, H61, H67, P67, Z68) will have an updated BIOS that will support the newer CPUs. Better to get a 7 series motherboard. Z77-based if you're getting an overclockable CPU (K suffix).

I see little value in buying an older chipset motherboard. The newer ones are more capable, and usually cheaper.
That said, if a motherboard supports ivy bridge, it will come with the appropriate bios updates. If in doubt, You can check the history of bios updates, and look for the date when the supporting update was released. If it was long enough ago, any new stock will already have been applied.
m
l
January 11, 2013 6:03:59 PM

Best answer selected by LoneGrayWolf.
m
l
!