Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 7 laptop keeps losing internet connection

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 28, 2011 10:26:13 PM

Hi, I keep losing the internet connection on my Toshiba Laptop (Windows 7). My desktop maintains a full connection but the laptop keeps saying "No Internet" despite the wifi network remaining at full strength.

Help!

Thanks
September 26, 2011 3:36:09 PM

RainbowClark said:
Hi, I keep losing the internet connection on my Toshiba Laptop (Windows 7). My desktop maintains a full connection but the laptop keeps saying "No Internet" despite the wifi network remaining at full strength.

Help!

Thanks

I too am experiencing this issue with 2 budget toshiba windows 7 laptops. At first we thought it was a network issue but now we have narrowed it down to the laptop itself. It can connect via LAN cable but not wireless. No amount of jiggering around with deleting/reinstalling drivers, removing connections, etc... has resolved the issue. I got to think that it may be the wireless card itself. Now I am not so sure.
The second one started having the same trouble after an update failed. Now it has no connectivity even with LAN cable (Note! The main user tried to fix the issue and has probably made it worse.). These are the identical laptops. It says needed services are not running. But no alerts are present in Device Manager. All the hardware looks good from that perspective.
I'm getting a bit perplexed. Usually I can hammer on a machine for a couple of hours and get some resolution but this has me stumped as of yet.
October 4, 2011 10:25:37 AM

Me too fella's.

I've got two Toshiba Satellites in the house. One connection drops in and out whilst the other remains connected for the same period. Hardwired connections work fine and the flaky wifi connection, for the computer concerned, isn't limited to the house connection, its any wifi connection.
Related resources
October 6, 2011 2:24:12 AM

First you should try connecting to another network to see if the problem follows the laptop. If it does, I would call Toshiba for support and have the wireless card replaced. Depending on how confident you are with a screw driver, you might also try opening up the laptop and checking the antenna cables on the network card.

--
David Dean
http://cobianet.com
April 25, 2012 2:10:14 AM

RainbowClark said:

Help!

Thanks

Hi thank God I'm not the only one with such problem. I've read most of the reply and i would think the same its probably the computer itself...but mine works perfectly at my sister's house and not on mine. I research and found an advice from a guy,,tried it but it only worked for several hrs..so what can i do???
April 10, 2013 3:04:39 PM

hi I also have a toshiba w/ window y and have spend months of having isp out here weekly as I drop offline every 2 to 3 minutes??? yet have 4 "bars' of strength? I cant take it any more . I work from home and cant stay online... i have paid for support, and gotten 2 routers to no avail... have you fixes your issue, pls advise!

Help!

Thanks
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
April 11, 2013 1:18:47 AM

When it drops off, have a look at the router's LED lights,particularly the one marked DSL. If that remains lit, the connection is good and the problem lies in the computer. Also, as an experiment for a few hours, cable to the router and see if that connection falls over. That will also point to where the problem is.
August 6, 2013 6:19:44 AM

I had the same problem as have many others based on what I've seen on the Internet. I was able to fix my problem by disabling wireless N in the WiFi adapter setup. Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/Change Adapter Settings/Right Click on our Wireless Network Connection/Properties/Configure/Advanced/802.11n Mode/Change drop-down to Disabled. Hit OK.

Not sure why the Toshiba doesn't like a lot of N routers, but it does not.

Thanks.

Bill
August 17, 2013 3:03:34 PM

If you can narrow down the problem to the wireless adapter and not your wifi network, and nothing you try works out, it's sometimes worth just investing in a usb wifi adapter.
!