Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help! PSU underpowering GPU causes spontaneous reboot?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • GPUs
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
March 6, 2012 5:21:32 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry for posting this in another forum section. maybe I'll get replies here. I read these forums when I encounter problems with my pc or just simply need advice on some products but now I think I need to state my particular problem for better troubleshooting.

I have recently changed mobos and cpus along with it and placed a new 4gb dd3 RAM. Then still used the other parts with my old build. The problem is that when entering a graphically intensive state, my system spontaneously reboots with no BSODs or anything. Mere seconds before rebooting(less than 2), I think the speed of the fan of my gpu would make some kind of noise or increases its speed then it reboots. Reboots just happen randomly but surely when entering gpu intensive states. I can open skyrim up to the menu then at the loading screen it would reboot. Sometimes I can get into the game though only for seconds. Max was at least 5 seconds.(Oh what greatness I felt during those 5 seconds)
Reboots are also experienced when checking for windows experience index.

Checking event log, I would see the event log 41 as my critical issue. When using the built in graphics, no reboots are experienced. I believe nothing is overheating since I checked my temperatures using GPUtemp and other temperature measuring applications. Everything is at 50C average even when running a game..

I have checked almost everything if my new parts are at fault but I sense that my problem is leaning more on the psu not generating enough power or have degraded or the gpu got broken(which i certainly hope not). I'm thinking of testing my GPU at my friend's PC to check if it is the problem.

Some history. A week before upgrading my system, my gpu's fan began to fail. It just stopped while I was out. I usually leave my pc open when downloading. I cleaned everything then the gpu's fan started to spin again though feeling more stiff. When playing games, I noticed a huge drop in FPS though everything is playable with no reboots. I think my gpu is not really broken since its only 9 month's old even with intensive use. PSU was recently new, though of low quality(generic psu brand).

Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium Processor G630 (3M Cache, 2.70 GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT240
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 (rev. 1.2)
RAM: Kingston 4gb dd3 1333 single channel
PSU: Generic 600 watts
HD: 1 TB Seagate 72000rpm
160 GB Seagate 72000rpm

any more information you need please tell me. I don't really know what else to post or maybe I'm forgetting some other things. Thank You for any help.

More about : psu underpowering gpu spontaneous reboot

March 6, 2012 7:19:12 PM

A generic 600W PS may even don't have 300W...I don't think you need any extra 6pin power to the video card.... the video card just get the power from the MB... if you draw more and make the MB unstable then may cause reboot.... Unless you have another PS to test..
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 6, 2012 8:05:09 PM

jkmontrl said:
Hello,

I'm sorry for posting this in another forum section. maybe I'll get replies here. I read these forums when I encounter problems with my pc or just simply need advice on some products but now I think I need to state my particular problem for better troubleshooting.

I have recently changed mobos and cpus along with it and placed a new 4gb dd3 RAM. Then still used the other parts with my old build. The problem is that when entering a graphically intensive state, my system spontaneously reboots with no BSODs or anything. Mere seconds before rebooting(less than 2), I think the speed of the fan of my gpu would make some kind of noise or increases its speed then it reboots. Reboots just happen randomly but surely when entering gpu intensive states. I can open skyrim up to the menu then at the loading screen it would reboot. Sometimes I can get into the game though only for seconds. Max was at least 5 seconds.(Oh what greatness I felt during those 5 seconds)
Reboots are also experienced when checking for windows experience index.

Checking event log, I would see the event log 41 as my critical issue. When using the built in graphics, no reboots are experienced. I believe nothing is overheating since I checked my temperatures using GPUtemp and other temperature measuring applications. Everything is at 50C average even when running a game..

I have checked almost everything if my new parts are at fault but I sense that my problem is leaning more on the psu not generating enough power or have degraded or the gpu got broken(which i certainly hope not). I'm thinking of testing my GPU at my friend's PC to check if it is the problem.

Some history. A week before upgrading my system, my gpu's fan began to fail. It just stopped while I was out. I usually leave my pc open when downloading. I cleaned everything then the gpu's fan started to spin again though feeling more stiff. When playing games, I noticed a huge drop in FPS though everything is playable with no reboots. I think my gpu is not really broken since its only 9 month's old even with intensive use. PSU was recently new, though of low quality(generic psu brand).

Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium Processor G630 (3M Cache, 2.70 GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT240
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 (rev. 1.2)
RAM: Kingston 4gb dd3 1333 single channel
PSU: Generic 600 watts
HD: 1 TB Seagate 72000rpm
160 GB Seagate 72000rpm

any more information you need please tell me. I don't really know what else to post or maybe I'm forgetting some other things. Thank You for any help.

ID 41 can be a lot of things. A bit difficult to isolate...especially when you've done a lot of recent upgrades. Do you have a PSU tester? Even if your PSU is only providing 1/2 its rated power it should still be able to power your system - your system is not a power hog. Have you been monitoring your 3.3, 5, and 12V rails? Are all of those voltages within 5% of the rated voltage? Do you get large fluctuations when under load? What is the make and model number for your PSU? Generic, low-quality PSUs are never good but doesn't have to be the reason for your reboots.Microsoft's troubleshooting steps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2012 2:42:20 AM

Thanks for the replies!

@sonexpc
Unfortunately, this is the only PS that I have. Then what you are saying is I'm not getting enough power for my mobo from this type of PS? I think I would try for a better PS which is not like the one I use now. Though most shops in my country only sell generic ones and quality but cheap power supplies are hard to find.

@Rugger
I'm sorry because I don't really have much knowledge in PSUs. Maybe an electronics store can test my PSU for me? How do I know which ones are 3.3, 5, and 12V rails and how to monitor them? I have an idea of what they are though not really very sure.

Could the fan of my GPU stopping before an issue here? It feels like its working differently than before. Though I don't think its an overheating issue.

What more could I test to know of my problem? I'll do that kernel 41 troubleshooting when I get back from school later. Again, Thank you so much for the replies.
m
l
March 7, 2012 2:58:46 AM

Orange wires are 3.3 V
Yellows are 12
red is 5
blacks are grounds
green is POWER-ON
Grey is POWER GOOD
If its a generic, changes are its a single rail so these all the same coloured wires will carry same voltage.
It seems like there's some fault in the PSU to me.
m
l
March 7, 2012 8:39:59 AM

So I found out that my PSU is a made by techwill and is an ATX. Searching for ATX, apparently these generic PSU are really unreliable and I found a similar case of rebooting when playing the latest games making me more convinced that it is the PSU.

I browsed local stores and found a fairly priced PSU. It's branded as PowerChoice with 580W and seems to look very durable compared to the generic ones. I think this is a local brand though of quality.

I'm still yet to test my GPU in another computer so I'll hold off on buying the PSU.

@sandyy24
Thank you for that info! I really think its the PSU too.
m
l

Best solution

March 7, 2012 8:47:43 AM

Ya, I was gonna mention reliability in generics, but it seems you found out from similar cases. My first choice would be to get a new PSU. You can get a lower end PSU by a reliable manufacturer, for a decent price. Shop around Antecs lower PSU's. Reliable, Affordable, and have great warranties.
March 7, 2012 10:33:30 AM

The thing is some brands are very hard to find in my country. You'll have to take what you can get. And I still can't believe that all stores would only have generics and PSUs at least 6 times the price of the generic ones, so figure that out. Well, I'm learning here that investing in quality PSUs are crucial for longevity. Thanks for the advise aviconus, I'll see if Antecs are available in my local stores and if they fit my budget.
m
l
a c 158 ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 10:37:30 AM

jkmontrl said:
So I found out that my PSU is a made by techwill and is an ATX. Searching for ATX, apparently these generic PSU are really unreliable and I found a similar case of rebooting when playing the latest games making me more convinced that it is the PSU.

I browsed local stores and found a fairly priced PSU. It's branded as PowerChoice with 580W and seems to look very durable compared to the generic ones. I think this is a local brand though of quality.

I'm still yet to test my GPU in another computer so I'll hold off on buying the PSU.

@sandyy24
Thank you for that info! I really think its the PSU too.

Generic PSUs are notorious for causing system instability, but I'm not sure how much better the PowerChoice is compared to your current PSU. Take a look at the recommended PSU thread linked in my signature. There is also a PSU guide that can help educate you a little more on PSUs. As far as PSU testing goes, if you don't want to use a multimeter to check voltages, then you can try a PSU tester like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The only bad thing about this type of PSU tester is that you can't monitor the PSU under load. There are software apps that allow you to monitor PSU voltages like Speedfan: http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444....;downloadRatingModule;summaryRatings
or HWmonitor: http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444....;downloadRatingModule;summaryRatings
With one of these apps you can run a stress test and monitor your voltages.
m
l
March 18, 2012 7:22:15 PM

Best answer selected by jkmontrl.
m
l
March 18, 2012 7:23:57 PM

It seems that my post when my pc was repaired did not post.

Bought a new PSU with better quality and now my PC is working fantastic. Thanks for all the help guys.
m
l
January 8, 2013 3:14:17 PM

what psu did you buy?is it the power choice 580w?if so, may i ask something does the fan og that psu does not spin until a certain temperature is achieved?
m
l
January 8, 2013 5:05:36 PM

Yeah, it's the power choice one. No, the fans starts spinning as soon as I power up my PC.
m
l
!