Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade mb, cpu or both

Last response: in Components
March 6, 2012 6:12:39 PM

Hello,
I have a hp media pc 7360n. I am running windows 7 home upgrade. I have the max allowable ram 4 gigs. I upgraded the hd to 1tb. I play games online and have noticed that my computer reacts slow most of the time. I have also upgraded the graphics card to a GeForce 9500GT.

I do not want to replace the computer, on the whole it works great. But I would like it to br faster. Should I replace the mb for more ram or the cpu? and what do you suggest for replacements?

More about : upgrade cpu

March 6, 2012 6:16:36 PM

Hi :) 

If its 32 bit windows you cannot upgrade the ram as its limited to 4 gb max....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
March 6, 2012 6:24:26 PM

lambertmjr said:
Hello,
I have a hp media pc 7360n. I am running windows 7 home upgrade. I have the max allowable ram 4 gigs. I upgraded the hd to 1tb. I play games online and have noticed that my computer reacts slow most of the time. I have also upgraded the graphics card to a GeForce 9500GT.

I do not want to replace the computer, on the whole it works great. But I would like it to br faster. Should I replace the mb for more ram or the cpu? and what do you suggest for replacements?

Don't know the specs of your PC (that would be helpful) but in many cases online gaming is directly affected by your internet connection. Are you running a wireless connection? Do you know how fast your connection is?
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2012 6:27:48 PM

4GB RAM for normal use is usually more than enough.

Online games, as in MMOs or Facebook/Flash or Minecraft style games? With a 9500GT, I hope it's not anything recent because that is a ~4 year old card and depending on your screen resolution, might be a massive bottleneck.

BUT, doing a search on your make/model, base processor is a P4D 920 with an Asus motherboard.

Personally I wouldn't invest anything in such an old platform, and that's probably not what you want to hear, because evenif you upgraded the base 6200SE to a 9500GT, it's a wee bit normal that the system feels slugish with W7 & gaming.
m
l
March 6, 2012 7:04:46 PM

hmm it sounds like your system is just old. depending on what hardware you already have you could start to build a new system. buy a new Case, MB and CPU, use the RAM, HDD, optical drives, PSU, GPU and cables you already have. then slowely replace parts when you can afford it, like the GPU, it is not paticularly good tbh and wont run any new games well.

can you give us the specs of your hardware. you can use CPU-Z for most of this http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

whats the PSU wattage?

and is your OS 32bit or x64
m
l
March 9, 2012 7:03:28 AM

Thanks for the responses. The OS is 64 bit, the processor is a dual core Intel pen 920. Here are the specs with the exception of what I have already stated that I have upgraded.
Motherboard description Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq name: Emery-UL8E, CPU/Processor Socket: 775, Chipset Northbridge: Intel 945P, Southbridge: Intel ICH7DH, BIOS features 4 Mb FWH EEPROM HP BIOS with enhanced ACPI, DMI, Green, and PnP Features Plus, Form factor Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in ,Memory Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets, Supports PC2 3200 (400 MHz), PC 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs, Expansion slots Three PCI
One PCI Express x16 graphics, Video graphics External only, Serial ATA 4 SATA connectors, Each connector supports 1 serial ATA-150 disk drive, Onboard audio or audio card Integrated Intel High Definition (TM) audio (Azalia), Realtek ALC 882 CODEC
Supports up to 8 audio channels, Dolby Pro Logic IIx compatible, Onboard LAN Intel 82562GT, 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet , Back panel I/0 One PS/2 keyboard port (purple)
One PS/2 mouse port (green), One Parallel , One IEEE 1394a, One RJ-45 networking port , Four USB 2.0, One coaxial SPDIF in, One coaxial SPDIF out, Audio ports: line in (light blue), line out (lime), microphone (pink), side speaker out (gray), rear speaker out (black), center/subwoofer (yellow orange), Internal connectors One floppy connector, One IDE connector, One 24-pin ATX power connector, One 4-pin ATX 12 V power connector, Four serial ATA connectors, One IEEE 1394a connector,Two USB 2.0 connectors, One CPU fan connector, One PC (chassis) fan connector, Two internal audio connectors, One front headphone connector, One PC panel connector
m
l
March 9, 2012 7:17:55 AM

Oh yeah, forgot to add my internet connection is wired.

Are there anymore people out there willing to give me some suggestions with the specs that I have added?
m
l
!