Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Black screen after intall of new cpu?

Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2012 8:53:25 PM

I just installed/upgraded my cpu from a phenom II x2 to a phenom II x6 1100t. It was purchased new from NCIX.com. Feariing the worst. It's probably doa. I'm hoping all I need to do is some bios update.
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2012 9:32:44 PM

Hi :) 

Which motherboard ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
a c 119 à CPUs
March 6, 2012 11:12:58 PM

reseat the cpu and make sure the 20/24pin and the 4-6 pin atx are firmly and correctly attached...
i thought my old amd was dead yesterday when i replaced my m8's case with a cooler master 1. the monitor came on i saw no signal and hit the power on the pc. the monitor immediately went into standby telling me the cpu was not working and possibly dead...
i just rechecked the wires and the 4 pin atx was loose... after plugging it back in all was well... amd cpu's are pretty robust and it takes a lot to kill em (apart from static) so just recheck your wires and hopefully that will fix the issue.

make sure the board came with 3303 bios (if you have another amd cpu you can try it, and if not you can apply the appropriate bios upgrade).
m
l

Best solution

a c 127 à CPUs
March 7, 2012 12:48:10 AM

As HexiT said, make sure you have the latest BIOS. None of the motherboards I know of come with the BIOS to support FX series yet.

SO download the latest one, put it on a thumb drive, put your old CPU in, get into the BIOS, load the Asus EZ Flash and flash to the latest one.

Then put the new FX CPU in and you will be set.
March 7, 2012 2:58:41 AM

It's an AM3 MB. And the cpu is phenom 2 x6 1100t. I wish I had a newer board. Although from what I hear the am3 x6's are out performing the new fx models. font say that too loud around here. A flaming and pissing contest will be sure to follow.

I'm going to take the damn CPU to my IT buddy that builds pc's on the side. That's if I feel up to it. I'm battling meningitis. One part of the day I'm feeling like crap, can't think straight, and feel like I got in a car wreck. The next half I feel almost normal. I'm wanting to make sure the cpu is dead before I send it back. The 1100t's are damn hard to find. I'm too tired at this point to start working on it and feel confident. Thanks for the help guys and wish me luck.
m
l
March 7, 2012 1:07:20 PM

Pretty rare that you have a dead CPU.. I ran into the same issue before when upgrading my CPU. I had an old Asus board. Took a quick BIOS update for it to work... Do that first before returning the CPU.
m
l
March 7, 2012 5:00:33 PM

rozz said:
Pretty rare that you have a dead CPU.. I ran into the same issue before when upgrading my CPU. I had an old Asus board. Took a quick BIOS update for it to work... Do that first before returning the CPU.

I've tried installing the latest bios update via their EZ flash program through bios. It wouldnt take. I also tried the they made for windows. That's not compatible with win7 64. I did all of this while on the phone with Asus techs. They recommend and RMA... Yeah right. I'm not taking it apart for this. Arrgggh.
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:11:43 AM

Bios update not compatible with win7.
m
l
March 24, 2012 3:10:24 PM

Best answer selected by chazz111bravo.
m
l
!