Sign in with
Your question

Need Advice on Office/Everyday PC build for $300-400

Last response: in Systems
December 2, 2011 10:19:04 PM

Hello all. I was hoping to get some feedback and advice on what will be my first build. I need a new desktop for work and everyday use, and am on a tight budget. Multitasking is the key point here, during work I am regularly running two memory intensive database programs, several browser tabs, Word, Excel, Photoshop, and if my PC can manage some music in the background. Outside of work I would just like to be able to stream Netflix and do general web browsing. I don't plan on doing any gaming.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: $300-$400 (the cheaper the better of course!)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: MS Office programs, inventory database programs, web browsing, Photoshop, streaming video/audio

Parts Not Required: Case, OS (will be running Win 7), monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com, Amazon.com (free shipping with Prime membership)

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1600 x 900

Additional Comments:

These are the components I was looking it. I'm not dead set on anything here, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also for the hard drive, my storage needs are fairly low. Right now with Windows 7 and the programs I regularly use, I'm just using 45gb. So I was thinking of going with SSD for the speed increase. Is this a bad idea? Would I be better off spending the extra money elsewhere?

Cpu
AMD A6-3650 APU with AMD Radeon 6530 HD Graphics 2.6GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard
ASRock A55M-HVS FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM
(x2 for 8gb) G.SKILL Value 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

PSU
COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply

Hard Drive
Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s

Total Price: $364.91
December 3, 2011 12:36:24 AM

I think an SSD is a good choice. I think llano is not a bad option, but it seems like you could sacrifice a bit of GPU for more cores, depending on how you use phgotoshop. Something like an 880g chipset with a thuban 6 core.
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2011 3:08:27 AM

Not really, He won't even need more than 2 cores since it's only office work. The Llano is a good choice.
m
l
December 3, 2011 4:35:11 AM

build looks good to me. based on the current HDD market you might as well get a SSD its basically the same price, If you could afford it though I'd shoot for maybe a 128GB SSD, you'll chew up 64GB in no time just the OS install.
m
l
December 3, 2011 6:05:49 AM

with windows 7 installed and fully updated with apps and drivers, with all the space hogging things disabled (hibernate and backup) you get ~30gb of free space with that SSD.
m
l
December 3, 2011 2:34:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestions all. I think I will go with the PSU you suggested cutebeans.

If I see a good deal on a larger SSD in the next two weeks I'll certainly consider it, although I'm not too concerned with the 64 gb. As long as I have 5-10 gb to play with I think I'll be fine. If HDD prices ever come back down to earth I'll be installing another drive for storage.
m
l
!