Sign in with
Your question

How to put a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 into a Dell Dimension 4100

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 6, 2011 7:32:28 PM

Hello, I was given a Dell Dimension 4100 (please don't laugh; I realize it's obsolete. The original purchaser bought a new Dell.) I'd like to upgrade the video card but it doesn't want to work correctly with anything but the original GeForce 2 MX (32MB) card. I've tried a GeForce 3 Ti200, a GeForce 4 Ti4200, even a GeForce 2 MX 400 (64MB), all with the same results: The machine boots in 16 colors at 640x480 resolution (which looks terrible) and if I make any changes it won't boot at all (it completes POST and sits there).

The machine has WinME and I've installed the last nVidia driver that supported 98/ME (81.98).

Am I missing something somewhere?

Thanks for any and all feedback.
a b Î Nvidia
October 6, 2011 8:27:09 PM

Did you remove the old drivers ? ( with driversweeper for example )
m
l
October 7, 2011 12:15:34 PM

I went into Device Manager and removed the old graphics card (setting it to generic PnP card) then shut down and replaced the card. I'll try to find drivesweeper and give it another shot.
m
l
October 8, 2011 12:28:01 PM

Update:

Found and downloaded DriveSweeper and burned it to a CD-R to take to the Dell. Promptly got an error message - some DLL not found - so couldn't use it.

I then spent a couple hours going through the same procedure; change cards, re-boot, and no-go. Stir and repeat. The closest to success was a GeForce 256 card with 64MB, but it wouldn't work once I changed the color depth.

I finally got the original card working again with nVidia 81.98 drivers. The GeForce 2 MX actually looks good, but I'm not satisfied with it - especially when I have an assortment of better cards (with more vRAM) sitting around.

Discovered one detail: The card I thought was a GeForce 2 MX400 is actually a GeForce 4 MX400, which could make a small difference, I suppose.

I know some of the components (like the power supply) are not industry standard, thus I have to wonder if Dell did something in the software/drivers to make it so that only Dell tech support can change the graphics card? Seems far-fetched, but it's possible...
m
l
!