ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or MSI Mpower Z77?

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I don't know what board to buy.

I will be overclocking to around 4.2ghz

I want USB 3.0 and sata 6 for the ssd. ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is cheaper but I don't know if it not good because of the cheaper price?

Vectorous

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
MSI Mpower all the way, however the Sabertooth Z77 is a VERY good board, if you can spend the extra cash go for the sabertooth.

The MSI Mpower is a better board then the ASRock Extreme4

Good luck! :)

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Yes, I went with asrock extreme 4 in the end because all I hear about is that it is good for the bang of the buck this is my build I just ordered.

Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
Intel 3570k
GTX 670 MSI PE
8GB 1600Mhz
SSD
NZXT Switch 810
Corsair SP120's fans
Corsair h100i
Windows 8

Xttony

Distinguished
Asrock Exreme 4 is a very good board. I've personally used it at a friends house and it was quite good you can even over clock with it.
Xtreme 6 has better PCIE options though

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

I'm planning to overclock it to about 4.0ghz. The build I said above, do you think it is good?

JJ1217

Honorable
Yes its a great build. Case is a hugely overkill, and the H100i already comes with modified SP120 fans, that have higher RPM choices, so you really didn't have to buy another set.

Xttony

Distinguished
You will regret buying windows 8. It works best with touch devices. You will be annoyed because some gestures just cannot be created by a mouse cursor. I don't even know why they released a desktop version for 8. Get a old fashioned windows 7 64 bit os, you'll need 64bit to make the 8gB memory work.

4GHz with a CPU cooler is fine. But I'll suggest you also check the coolers of arctic.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Fans are for front intake because they are good. I got £50 taken of the case so it came down to £100

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

I've ordered a logitech t650 touch pad, I didn't want a touch screen monitor because finger prints ect.

Also what do you mean coolers from arctic?

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

The CPU heatsink is a corsair h100i?

JJ1217

Honorable

:non: If you are using them as intake fans you should of gotten AF120's, the SP120's are pressure optimized and meant for things such as radiators and heatsinks. The Air flow (AF) series is meant for airflow, and would of performed better and quieter.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

I haven't ordered the fans yet so still time haha!

So the AF ones just be used as intake and SP ones use for pressure through the radiator. I was think sp high pressure would be good to push air through the raidtor

I'm sorry, but, uhm, what drugs are you on?

MSI is known for making very unreliable motherboards. Yes, when you get a good one, that's great, but you're more likely to get a bad one - and when the motherboard is the problem, especially when it's not totally fried, it's very hard to figure it out.

The Sabertooth, which you recommend over anything else, is an even WORSE board. There is no reason to buy a Sabertooth, period. It's a low-mid end board with "thermal armor" and a hugely inflated price tag... and the thermal armor, guess what, makes the board HOTTER! Huh, who would have thought insulation would do that?

So yeah. I'd avoid MSI and the Sabertooth line. If you want high-end, buy Asus, if you want better value, go with AsRock or Gigabyte. (I've had both, and I like AsRock better, because Gigabyte's UEFI / BIOS has some issues.)

In that case you're going MAJOR overkill on the cooling... A hyper 212+ can get an overclock to 4.4 or so without any heat issues whatsoever. Buy that for $30 instead of an expensive CLOSED-loop liquid cooler that's WAY more likely to fail and spew liquid all over your computer.

Xttony

Distinguished

Yes I forgot the name of that thermal paste, it was arctic cooler silver or something. Either way I should have mentioned thermal paste. :kaola:

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

No worries, thanks for your help.

shaunw50

Honorable
May 18, 2012

I haven't decided yet might go higher. The corsair h100i solves all the problems h100 had. So far no reports of leakage around to web. It had pump noises which is fixed by film ware and fans are not good so adding sp120s