ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or MSI Mpower Z77?

I don't know what board to buy.

I will be overclocking to around 4.2ghz

I want USB 3.0 and sata 6 for the ssd. ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is cheaper but I don't know if it not good because of the cheaper price?
20 answers Last reply
More about asrock extreme4 mpower
  1. MSI Mpower all the way, however the Sabertooth Z77 is a VERY good board, if you can spend the extra cash go for the sabertooth.

    The MSI Mpower is a better board then the ASRock Extreme4


    Good luck! :)
  2. You can check out asrock z77 extreme 6 board. It too is a good choice. Currently asrock has some kickass boards for a reasonable price.
  3. Xttony said:
    You can check out asrock z77 extreme 6 board. It too is a good choice. Currently asrock has some kickass boards for a reasonable price.


    Yes, I went with asrock extreme 4 in the end because all I hear about is that it is good for the bang of the buck this is my build I just ordered.

    Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
    Intel 3570k
    GTX 670 MSI PE
    8GB 1600Mhz
    SSD
    NZXT Switch 810
    Corsair SP120's fans
    Corsair h100i
    Windows 8
  4. Asrock Exreme 4 is a very good board. I've personally used it at a friends house and it was quite good you can even over clock with it.
    Xtreme 6 has better PCIE options though
  5. Xttony said:
    Asrock Exreme 4 is a very good board. I've personally used it at a friends house and it was quite good you can even over clock with it.
    Xtreme 6 has better PCIE options though


    I'm planning to overclock it to about 4.0ghz. The build I said above, do you think it is good?
  6. Yes its a great build. Case is a hugely overkill, and the H100i already comes with modified SP120 fans, that have higher RPM choices, so you really didn't have to buy another set.
  7. You will regret buying windows 8. It works best with touch devices. You will be annoyed because some gestures just cannot be created by a mouse cursor. I don't even know why they released a desktop version for 8. Get a old fashioned windows 7 64 bit os, you'll need 64bit to make the 8gB memory work.

    4GHz with a CPU cooler is fine. But I'll suggest you also check the coolers of arctic.
  8. JJ1217 said:
    Yes its a great build. Case is a hugely overkill, and the H100i already comes with modified SP120 fans, that have higher RPM choices, so you really didn't have to buy another set.


    Fans are for front intake because they are good. I got £50 taken of the case so it came down to £100
  9. Xttony said:
    You will regret buying windows 8. It works best with touch devices. You will be annoyed because some gestures just cannot be created by a mouse cursor. I don't even know why they released a desktop version for 8. Get a old fashioned windows 7 64 bit os, you'll need 64bit to make the 8gB memory work.

    4GHz with a CPU cooler is fine. But I'll suggest you also check the coolers of arctic.


    I've ordered a logitech t650 touch pad, I didn't want a touch screen monitor because finger prints ect.

    Also what do you mean coolers from arctic?
  10. I too have a touchpad. I guess it will just need some getting used to.
    I meant the cooler from arctic.
  11. Xttony said:
    I too have a touchpad. I guess it will just need some getting used to.
    I meant the cooler from arctic.


    The CPU heatsink is a corsair h100i?
  12. shaunw50 said:
    Fans are for front intake because they are good. I got £50 taken of the case so it came down to £100


    :non: If you are using them as intake fans you should of gotten AF120's, the SP120's are pressure optimized and meant for things such as radiators and heatsinks. The Air flow (AF) series is meant for airflow, and would of performed better and quieter.
  13. JJ1217 said:
    :non: If you are using them as intake fans you should of gotten AF120's, the SP120's are pressure optimized and meant for things such as radiators and heatsinks. The Air flow (AF) series is meant for airflow, and would of performed better and quieter.



    I haven't ordered the fans yet so still time haha!

    So the AF ones just be used as intake and SP ones use for pressure through the radiator. I was think sp high pressure would be good to push air through the raidtor
  14. shaunw50 said:
    The CPU heatsink is a corsair h100i?

    Yes I know I'm saying that check the arctic cooler too before you buy.
  15. Xttony said:
    Yes I know I'm saying that check the arctic cooler too before you buy.


    Ahh right thermal compound ?
  16. Vectorous said:
    MSI Mpower all the way, however the Sabertooth Z77 is a VERY good board, if you can spend the extra cash go for the sabertooth.

    I'm sorry, but, uhm, what drugs are you on?

    MSI is known for making very unreliable motherboards. Yes, when you get a good one, that's great, but you're more likely to get a bad one - and when the motherboard is the problem, especially when it's not totally fried, it's very hard to figure it out.

    The Sabertooth, which you recommend over anything else, is an even WORSE board. There is no reason to buy a Sabertooth, period. It's a low-mid end board with "thermal armor" and a hugely inflated price tag... and the thermal armor, guess what, makes the board HOTTER! Huh, who would have thought insulation would do that?

    So yeah. I'd avoid MSI and the Sabertooth line. If you want high-end, buy Asus, if you want better value, go with AsRock or Gigabyte. (I've had both, and I like AsRock better, because Gigabyte's UEFI / BIOS has some issues.)
  17. shaunw50 said:
    I'm planning to overclock it to about 4.0ghz. The build I said above, do you think it is good?


    In that case you're going MAJOR overkill on the cooling... A hyper 212+ can get an overclock to 4.4 or so without any heat issues whatsoever. Buy that for $30 instead of an expensive CLOSED-loop liquid cooler that's WAY more likely to fail and spew liquid all over your computer.
  18. shaunw50 said:
    Ahh right thermal compound ?

    Yes I forgot the name of that thermal paste, it was arctic cooler silver or something. Either way I should have mentioned thermal paste. :kaola:
  19. Xttony said:
    Yes I forgot the name of that thermal paste, it was arctic cooler silver or something. Either way I should have mentioned thermal paste. :kaola:


    No worries, thanks for your help.
  20. DarkSable said:
    In that case you're going MAJOR overkill on the cooling... A hyper 212+ can get an overclock to 4.4 or so without any heat issues whatsoever. Buy that for $30 instead of an expensive CLOSED-loop liquid cooler that's WAY more likely to fail and spew liquid all over your computer.


    I haven't decided yet might go higher. The corsair h100i solves all the problems h100 had. So far no reports of leakage around to web. It had pump noises which is fixed by film ware and fans are not good so adding sp120s
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking ASrock MSI-Microstar