Short repeated beeps

I keep getting short repeated beeps that do not stop.
It happens, when the System has been on. when i knocked the tower. and it does it from cold boot even with out a Graphics card in its slot.

I have swapped both mem sticks slots and it will boot sometimes it doesnt though. sometimes with the graphics card in it will boot sometimes it wont, I have tested 2 Cards 1 new and 1 old. the new card is working on another system, at one point with the gpu in it booted but recognised no card in the slot.
(the new card does work in this system.)

Is this the psu or motherboard? or something else?

the parts in the system are somewhat old. as for the PSU its a 800w Storm...

I would really appreciate the help.
26 answers Last reply
More about short repeated beeps
  1. Can you let us know the Motherboard make and model?
  2. Vectorous said:
    Can you let us know the Motherboard make and model?


    GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2H
  3. Okay, try with another PSU first, as repeated beeps usually means a power issue. If you still have the same problem after using a differebt PSU try resetting your BIOS.
  4. Vectorous said:
    Okay, try with another PSU first, as repeated beeps usually means a power issue. If you still have the same problem after using a differebt PSU try resetting your BIOS.


    I have already Reset my bios and i do not have another PSU with enough power to power my system+gpu.
  5. What kind of system are you running and what wattage is your second PSU?
  6. Vectorous said:
    What kind of system are you running and what wattage is your second PSU?


    ? What kind of system are you running ?

    i dont have another psu with Sata Connection.
  7. You don't need to use the sata connection, just plug your motherboard and graphics card in to see if you can 'post' properly without the beeps, that will then determine if indeed you have a damaged PSU
  8. Vectorous said:
    You don't need to use the sata connection, just plug your motherboard and graphics card in to see if you can 'post' properly without the beeps, that will then determine if indeed you have a damaged PSU


    But its like i said, Sometime it will boot with everything in, how would i diagnose the problem as a PSU problem if it works sometimes with my current psu?
  9. Damaged PSU's can be very temperamental and can damage your cause more damage to your computer leaving them in..
  10. Ok after finding my manual i have found the issue to most Likely be a faulty PSU

    from the back of the manual page 87

    "Continuous short beeps: Power Error"
  11. Infact im not sure if they're short or not.

    Because "Continuous long beeps: graphics card not inserted properly"

    But i do not believe this to be the case since i have tried 2 cards.
  12. The PSU is most likely the issue here.
  13. Vectorous said:
    The PSU is most likely the issue here.



    However, After listening to some beeps on youtube video it seems to be a continuous long beesp. But im not sure, I know i inserted my cards correctly, I know the ram is inserted correctly. So is this most likely A PSU Fault and NOT the motherboard?
  14. As I said, try a spare PSU and just connect it to the MB and graphics card, if you get the beeps then it's not a PSU fault, if not then you should replace your current PSU ASAP
  15. Vectorous said:
    As I said, try a spare PSU and just connect it to the MB and graphics card, if you get the beeps then it's not a PSU fault, if not then you should replace your current PSU ASAP



    Sadly i cant find a psu with the right amount of pins for the MB
  16. You don't need all 24 pins on the main power cable, or the 8 pins CPU

    The older style PSU pins will work fine
  17. Vectorous said:
    You don't need all 24 pins on the main power cable, or the 8 pins CPU

    The older style PSU pins will work fine



    everything is booting up with my old psu right now.. the system is at desktop...
  18. No beeps or error messages?
  19. Vectorous said:
    No beeps or error messages?


    Scratch that, my New GPU fan is running and speccy says the card is in, by windows wont apply AMD Display driver to it.
  20. Stratch that #2 had to reinstall it for some reason, ill get back to posting if the crash and beeping happens again.
  21. Ok, it seems to Do it when playing games that need to draw power into the card. So psu failure?
  22. Yes, I'd say a PSU problem, not providing enough power. You have a damaged or faulty PSU
  23. Vectorous said:
    Yes, I'd say a PSU problem, not providing enough power. You have a damaged or faulty PSU


    So i went out and bought a a 600w psu , Still happens. if i take the graphics cards at while after its beeping it boots. I guess my motherboard is warped/dead pci slot. even in speccy it shows the pci x16 slot as "UNKNOWN"
  24. Oh and I forgot to mention - the GPU fan does spin when the boot problems are happening.
  25. Bump
  26. Hmm, seems very odd.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Graphics Cards Boot