Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Z77 motherboard choice

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 11, 2013 3:20:28 PM

I'm building my first gaming rig mostly for MMOs with dual screens and multitasking and just need to understand which motherboard to get.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/x2E9

Intel® - Core™ i7-2600K Quad-Core 3.4GHz Processor
Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
AZZA Solano 1000R Case
(carrying over existing 1 yr old hdd and ~600W ps)

I was originally thinking latest tech=long upgrade life (was planning i7 3820k with x79 board), but then some forums steered me to the idea that best for current needs is really the best idea since tech outdates so fast.
I am intending this rig to last 4-5 years with a potential upgrade here and there but want the mobo to be good enough to not be one of those things replaced without bottlenecking anything.

Keep in mind this is my first system build and I've only been researching for three days on this so I'm open to suggestions on tweaks/alternates if it would yield an observable improvement in performance or cost effectiveness of the build.

I have been thinking to buy the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 however I have seen a few forums saying stay the hell away from asrock. Anyone wanna suggest a z77 lga 1155 board that would fit in well?

More about : z77 motherboard choice

January 11, 2013 3:37:59 PM

I highly recommend the Asus Sabertooth Z77 board! Very good build quality and brilliant for OC'ing
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2013 5:15:09 PM

Go for X79 if you want it to use it for 4-5 years. At least you will get quad channel.

For a Z77 board I think the best is the Gigabye Z77 Sniper.G1.
m
l
Related resources
January 11, 2013 5:30:14 PM

I seriously considered the x79 setups, but I have heard a number of people list it as a fad chipset that will be pretty narrow in upgrades and component availability. Don't get me wrong, I love the newest tech toys and go after them when there is an option but am pretty torn here. Aside from that I already have every other component in shipping, so z77 board is locked in now. I was aiming for about a $200 price tag, but I know ya get what ya pay for.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2013 5:43:57 PM

If you only care about speed and not latest products then get a Z77 board like asrock z77 extreme 4 or asrock z77 extreme 6. Then get a cheap processor and gpu for now and then after a 2years or so buy an extremely fast used CPU and gpu. You cannot get good used CPU now because Z77 chipset is not old enough and there is not any other chipset that is good enough so that people could buy it.

I've been using my old computer for more than 4years now. My processor still can beat most of the ivy bridge processor.
January 11, 2013 5:55:17 PM

Best answer selected by nevanger.
m
l
!