Solved

Need new power supply

So, I built a new computer. Then my power source stops working after a day. I need to know which brands I can trust and what to get. I don't want to mess it up again.

Here's my build:

CPU: AMD FX 8120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961

Motherboard: ASUS M5A88-V EVO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131733

Case: Broadway Com Corp 939PL-BLACK Steel (this came with the power supply that blew)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811162042

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

It all worked well for a day. But now I need help choosing a new power supply.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about need power supply
  1. Can't go wrong with Antec or Corsair. http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore/?psu=yes
  2. 850w PSU will do the job nicely. im suprised it ran at all with 550w.

    corsair are a top notch brand i always use. good warrenty and very reliable products with great tech support if their is ever any trouble.

    850w might seem like a lot of power but a PSU will loose 5-10% wattage after a year or 2 and slowely decrease after that. most PSU's are most efficiant at around 80% load too.

    850w will cover you for lost wattage and give you room to overclock in the future when your hardware gets old and you need a little more power to run new games.

    if your lucky a good corsair PSU can last for 10 years. i had a 450w last for 8 years and only replaced it a few months ago.

    in relation to your blown psu, you should report this to newegg and complain. maybe try get credit towards a replacment. corsair are expensive :/
  3. TheGrambo said:
    So, I built a new computer. Then my power source stops working after a day. I need to know which brands I can trust and what to get. I don't want to mess it up again.

    Here's my build:

    CPU: AMD FX 8120
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961

    Motherboard: ASUS M5A88-V EVO
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131733

    Case: Broadway Com Corp 939PL-BLACK Steel (this came with the power supply that blew)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811162042

    HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308

    Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

    It all worked well for a day. But now I need help choosing a new power supply.

    The fact that's it's some of the lowest quality crap available is the likely reason for it going pop.
    550 watts is more than enough for your single card system specs.
    A decent quality 550 watt psu will cost more than that case/psu combo,what kind of budget do you have to work with ?
  4. ^+1 i agree!
    State your budget!
  5. Price is not an issue
  6. Cheap!
    CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W = 3yr warranty
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
    Higher quality
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
  7. For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

    Your Okia ATX 550W was only 550 Watts peak not continuous.
  8. davcon said:
    Cheap!
    CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W = 3yr warranty
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
    Higher quality
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020


    Unbelievable. I was actually looking at the TX650 as an option. Eventually I want to get another 6870 to Crossfire, what kind of power source would be recommended for that?
  9. Best answer
    TheGrambo said:
    Unbelievable. I was actually looking at the TX650 as an option. Eventually I want to get another 6870 to Crossfire, what kind of power source would be recommended for that?

    Ideally you'd want to chose a unit that features 4xPCI-E pins = required for 2x6870
    The TX650 V2 only has PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6+2-Pin.
    XFX Core Edition PRO650W has 2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 6+2-Pin
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014
    I'd seriously consider a rma or refund for your case/psu combo = dump it!
    It's really low end and unsuitable for any type of Xfire set-up.
    Get another case since the psu blew up in that combo.
    You'll be sorry if you don't the case you have has inadequate cooling.
    COOLER MASTER HAF 912
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
  10. ko888 said:
    For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

    Your Okia ATX 550W was only 550 Watts peak not continuous.

    What about the other rails (or was it direct currents), 3.3, 5.5, etc.

    BTW, there's a list of Recommended PSUs on this forum.
  11. For a system using two Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    The power draw from the +3.3V and +5V rails in any modern system is low enough that it is always adequately powered by any power supply available.
  12. Such good advice. I'm really glad I decided to join this site. I'm still not 100% on the total continuous amperage, but the TX650 and XFX seem to have the same stats on that. But the XFX seems to be the way to go to prepare for the Crossfire though.
  13. ko888 said:
    For a system using two Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

    The power draw from the +3.3V and +5V rails in any modern system is low enough that it is always adequately powered by any power supply available.

    Thanks. Do you agree with the Recommended PSU list? Some people criticize it.
  14. e56imfg said:
    Thanks. Do you agree with the Recommended PSU list? Some people criticize it.

    I would recommend the XFX ProSeries 650W Core Edition Full Wired (Bronze) (P1-650S-NLB9), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps and with two 6-pin and two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 6870 in 2-way CrossFireX mode.

    It meets all of the necessary power supply requirements.
  15. Thank you all for your help
  16. Best answer selected by TheGrambo.
  17. davcon said:
    Ideally you'd want to chose a unit that features 4xPCI-E pins = required for 2x6870
    The TX650 V2 only has PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6+2-Pin.
    XFX Core Edition PRO650W has 2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 6+2-Pin
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014
    I'd seriously consider a rma or refund for your case/psu combo = dump it!
    It's really low end and unsuitable for any type of Xfire set-up.
    Get another case since the psu blew up in that combo.
    You'll be sorry if you don't the case you have has inadequate cooling.
    COOLER MASTER HAF 912
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233


    I was going to RMA it, but the cost of shipping and the restocking fee would just about give me back around $5. I'll just convert the case into something else.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product