What is gtx 460 SLI powerful as?

stormich50

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Is the gtx 460 sli more powerful than, say, 560ti?

What's it powerful as?

Do you think i should sell the gtx 460 that i currently own, and buy a new card, or throw another gtx 460 in for sli?

more powerful than a speeding locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound........ er, uh, going from a 460 to a 560 is nuts. It also is not cooler than a 460......... I had one of those cards for my own use. Personally I would never recommend one. However, sli-ing makes more sense if you can't get a single card that is significantly better. ( 570/580/6950, etc. ) In sli the 460's numbers may appear to run as good as a higher end card but that's not true because the cards have different architecture and the actual "performance" doesn't even come close. My opinion. SLI the thing.

stormich50

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011

Well i just linked graphs of like 10 games and its 5 fps of difference, 460 gtx sli beats the 580 in some games even.
Maybe you cant read?

You won't get much money for a GTX460.But they are selling very cheap.The Beta can't be considered a viable benchmark because,well,it's a Beta.Their are tons of errors and driver problems so in all actuallity the GTX580 should do better once better drivers are released.

The GTX580 would be a better choice if you can afford it.But if you can't then a GTX460 SLI is also a very good option since they are so cheap.

I say run the 460s in SLI for now. It's a cheap upgrade for you. By the time you need more than that new cards will be out. Either go with two 460s now, or wait for new cards next year. No point paying more than 3x as much for a single 580 to get the same experience you would with an additional 460

cuecuemore

Distinguished

Of course there's a comparison, namely that the setups perform similarly...except for the fact that the 460s overclock better than 580s. My 460s (on stock air) in SLI with modest overclocks will match the performance of a heavily overclocked 580 on a custom water loop.