Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a good source for some case mod supplies...

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 7, 2012 1:18:57 AM

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the community, this is actually my first post. I just dropped about $1500 for the parts for a new computer. I'm getting the HAF X case and am looking to mod the case as time goes on. I've seen some really awesome mods out there (here), and I find myself wondering where people get all these custom temperature displays and little aesthetic gadgets to go in their cases.

If anyone knows some good sources to get some awesome custom parts, share them! I've looked around for a bit and I really can't find quite what I'm looking for. They seem to be pretty well hidden to the general public.

Also, if there's another thread in the forums here, I apologize. I searched, albeit briefly.

More about : good source case mod supplies

March 7, 2012 2:19:40 AM

mnpctech.com has some nice parts for case mods as well as tuts.
m
l
March 7, 2012 2:34:25 AM

Wooow. Yeah, there's some gorgeous work going on over there. Does it have a place where you can buy some of those materials?
m
l
March 7, 2012 2:50:50 AM

traumaiv said:
mnpctech.com has some nice parts for case mods as well as tuts.

That's a fantastic site! Almost perfectly fits what I was looking for. :D 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 3:07:41 AM

87ninefiveone said:
My personal favorite site...

http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/

These guys have made it an art form.

Dam I hate being poor :cry: 
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 5:07:49 AM

Google Pc modding supplies, it usually brings a few hits
But I'm on my phone and can't paste links atm sorry
Moto
m
l
March 7, 2012 12:05:48 PM

For lots of ideas and inspiration, CaseModBlog published the best case mods from the around the community :) 
m
l
March 7, 2012 1:33:27 PM

Awesome site so far guys. Thanks a lot for the feedback!

One thing I've learned with you guys' help is that some of the coolest things I've seen in cases is the creative uses of reservoirs. I've got a lot of inspiration and ideas from the sources you guys listed. When my parts get in next week, I'll be sure to throw up some pictures of my base build (pre modding) wherever the appropriate thread is (I think I saw it as a sticky elsewhere). Then, I'll order the liquid cooling components one by one as I figure out how I want to mod the case and the general color theme.

I was pretty sure I wanted to go with a red/black theme, but after seeing some of the REALLY clean systems with white lighting and black parts, I might re-do the lighting later as I go along.

m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 4:47:12 PM

Yup, theres galleries in both the homebuild and Overclocking (for W/c builds)
and we're happy to help if we can on the design/build :) 
Moto
m
l
March 7, 2012 5:55:58 PM

Moto, I'm going to try to meet your expectations on cable management. We'll see how I do...

Even as a new member, you've got quite the reputation for cable management! Since I'm a bit OCD about it as well (I have built several rigs for friends/customers and have pictures if I find the proper place and enough time to post), I'll see how I measure up to your expectations. :wahoo: 
m
l
March 7, 2012 6:06:05 PM

Those turned up in some of my google searches, and they're excellent sites! However, at the moment I'm trying to find some kind of analog gauge that can display the temperature to go in either the cd bay slots or actually mount inside the case to be viewable within the case window on the side. So far, that seems like it'd be a VERY custom piece though. Might have to do some customization to some kind of small vehicle gauge or something.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 6:11:29 PM

e56imfg said:
Dam I hate being poor :cry: 

You, me, and everyone else. :cry: 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 6:13:33 PM

Ickyness said:
That's a fantastic site! Almost perfectly fits what I was looking for. :D 

Some of them are very nice but others well not so nice. If I had good money I would be building better. I've been thinking about an all glass monitor project where there is little to no plastic at all.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 6:22:03 PM

Ickyness said:
Those turned up in some of my google searches, and they're excellent sites! However, at the moment I'm trying to find some kind of analog gauge that can display the temperature to go in either the cd bay slots or actually mount inside the case to be viewable within the case window on the side. So far, that seems like it'd be a VERY custom piece though. Might have to do some customization to some kind of small vehicle gauge or something.

Now thats the spirit :) 
The problem here is most are 52mm in size (maybe too large for your plans) and markings start at 40-50'c, and I know you want temps displayed lower than that, it would barely move at full load lol :p ,
let us know how it goes man, I look forward to checking out your future projects :) 
Moto
m
l
March 7, 2012 6:52:34 PM

Hmmm...

Looks like this might be what I'm looking for...

It looks like it goes all the way down to 0c, but goes much higher than I'd ever need. It'll work as long as I can get it to interface with everything properly... Hmmm...

EDIT: I've got the HAF X, so it's a full tower. I'm sure I'd have the room inside the case for it. If not, it should fit in two cd bay slots if I found a piece of plastic/metal to mount it in.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 7, 2012 8:02:19 PM

Looks nice, readup states 40-150'c, theres possibilies there though :-)
Moto
m
l
March 7, 2012 10:17:59 PM

Ahhhhh, yeah it sure does. Huge derp moment there.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 8, 2012 9:47:33 PM

Hmm I see all my sites except http://dazmode.com/store/ .. he has alot of youtube tuts also ( if you can understand him ) gl :) 
m
l
March 9, 2012 2:06:33 AM

That site's money right there, rufus.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2012 10:47:57 AM

is that good ?
m
l
March 9, 2012 12:24:15 PM

Yeah, that's very good. :D 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 9, 2012 10:04:34 PM

good ... all the other links are good too .. gl with your build :0
m
l
March 10, 2012 1:26:59 AM

I built the rig last night. Will post pictures of it on the members homebuilt systems thread tomorrow morning probably. :D 
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 10, 2012 5:44:46 AM

good good, don't forget your cables better be tidy :p 
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2012 8:49:34 AM

cool ! cant wait for the pics :) 
m
l
March 10, 2012 2:26:47 PM

Alright! Pics are up over on the members homebuilt systems thread. :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2012 11:15:40 PM

where ??
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
March 11, 2012 7:59:13 AM

In the members gallery ofc :-)
Moto
m
l
March 13, 2012 4:40:24 PM

I think this bitch should be stickied :) 
m
l
March 13, 2012 7:36:45 PM

ickyness, maybe buy one of those nzxt temp/fan guages and tear it down to just the screen, most of it is just mounting brackets and spar emetal, i bet you could mod one of those to mount on your side window.
m
l
March 20, 2012 3:17:20 AM

That sounds like a really good idea...
m
l
!