No video during test boot, help please

Anjelous

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I was having issues with the computer I'm building so, to troubleshoot, I took the MoBo, PSU, all that out, set it up.

Hooked up mostly everything needed to do a boot and shorted the pins. Was very encouraged because, while I don't have a speaker (where do I get one anyway, this P8P67 Pro MoBo didn't come with one) to hear anything, the chassis and CPU fans were spinning, and I had the green SB and red MemOk lights on. That's more than I ever got inside the case,where it just looked dead and I began to fear I had a bad MoBo or psu.

But there was no video during the test boot which is odd. I hooked up the GPU first to HDMI then VGA (two different monitors) and neither time did I get registered video. I did hook up the two PCI-E cables to it (It's a GTX 560), though I haven't connected everything that came with it in the box.

I'm going to reassemble the computer now but in the meantime I wonder if anyone has an idea for me on what happened with the video?

plat86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Whats the motherboard beeping when you turn it on
It will have 1 short beep if it detects vga, and theres a few other variations indicating other problems, i have the same mobo look at page 2-44 in the user guide for the error list and if its not beeping at all its probly a mobo fail. Also make sure all your power plugs are in good and the psu is ok

Also what size psu are you using
Ed: im sorry yeah i think you need a case speaker for those beeps can you remove one from an old computer or borrow one

chilypepper

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
mkae sure its in all the way i trouble shooted with mione on my first build for an hour before I realized it wasn't in all the way. Also as mentioned above, a long beep is usually no videoc ard and a short beep is a flawless start.

Anjelous

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I just put it all together again and still no video.

About the speaker, no I don't have one. I could go out and buy one but the stores where it'd be are a ways away. I'll look for one i can order off amazon prime or something so it gets here in a day or two but in the meantime...

I find it odd I'm not getting any video but I CAN'T say for sure I have the GTX 560 connected right since this is my first time doing this. I've got it pushed in hard enough that the motherboard slot latched onto it by itself and it's not terribly easy to pull it out even once I pull that latch off and unscrew it.

Is there a way perhaps to test the gpu independently to see if it's malfunctioning? Though more than likely I'm the one doing something wrong here and the GPU is just fine

plat86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
not besides testing it in another computer or waiting for the beeps,
is the card in the top pci 16x, have you connected the additional 2 x 6 pin power plugs on the card, and is your psu over 350-400 watt, do all the fans spin when you start it
you said you took it out to test it, did you take it out of a case ? as far as i know all cases have a little speaker that plugs in near the same pins as the power/reset plugs

Anjelous

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
It is in the top pci, I did plug. In the two pci-e cables and I have a 750W psu. The CPU and chassis fans start spinning, I get a green light on the MoBo and a red light near the top.

I actually DID get a speaker just now, found a nearby retailer.

I plugged it in but... no beeps :-/ Not a sound really but that of the fans running softly

Anjelous

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Nope I think te motherboard is alive! Check it out

I went through the breadboarding guide here on this site. Stripped it down the MoBo, CPU, hsf, and power. It started beeping about the missing memory so I put that in. Then it started beeping for the missing graphics card so I've put that in.

And um... Yea that's where I have the issue! The gpu is in but it's still beeping as if it's not. I might not have put it in right but I mean damn how much force do you need to put in a gtx 560?

I'm going to double check if the thing is even installed properly... I honestly don't know, the manual is a little vague. I've got it in the top pci slot, have the two pci-es... what else does a guy even need?

plat86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
beeping again good to hear, check have you plugged all the power into the motherboard, there is an 8 pin plug at the top left corner in addition to the 24 pin one on the side
you might be able to test the card in the 2nd 16x slot aswell

and your saying its not detecting the vga ? one continuous beep followed by 3 short beeps

Anjelous

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I think I made a mistake. What I've been hearing is one long beep followed by two short beeps, NOT three. I noticed when I kept getting the same beep pattern even after removing the gpu.

Does that mean it's the RAM???

plat86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
yeah 2 is ram.. how many ram sticks do you have and what slots are they in
if its 2 sticks you need to use the 1st slot and the 3rd slot because of the way dual channel works, you can also try running it with just 1 stick to see what it does
and make sure there clippd in good

Anjelous

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I'm using the corsair 8gbs (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QBUL1C) which I had believed was compatible with this asus p8p67 pro...

Right now I have them both with the labels facing toward the CPU in the first and third slots. I thought maybe they were backwards so I turned them around but still one long, two short. Le sigh... I think theyre installed right, they go in and don't come out when you grip them.

If it's a memory issue I have another two sticks of ram coming in the mail sometime this week so I will have more to test with soon. Still I'd like to figure this out...

That said I'm very comforted knowing the problem wasn't any of the expensive components, I don't think I could handle getting a second gtx right now ;)

Oh and I did try running it with just 1 stick. Tried it twice facing both directions, still one long two short. Humph!

gedrean

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009

Try removing both RAM sticks. If the beep code you get is the same, it may still be the Mobo, unable to read its RAM at all. It may be incompatible with that model of RAM.

Also, Backwards? All RAM is notched in such a way that it is impossible to stick it in backwards. It fits in one way only, the other way the notch (and matching solid section in the socket) should prevent insertion and locking. Line the RAM up with the socket and determine where the notch matches up with the solid piece in the socket, that's how it fits.

plat86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
:S yeah ram only fits one way, and its very rare to get 2 faulty sticks at once
i have corsair vengeance and i have to manually have to get it to 1600 from 1333 to prevent system crashes but it gets to the post/bios no problem

you said "dont come out when you grip them "? they cant come out unless you undo the clips on the end, these clip snap in when you push the ram in hard enough if your saying the ram can fit both ways maybe your just pushing them in the slots but not hard enough for them to clip in

Anjelous

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I have read about compatibility issues with this model of ram and my p8p67 pro MoBo now that I've done a google search but apparently not everyone has them.

As far as their installation... I mean, I don't know? I can almost always pull them out if I pull enough, they dont really clip on by themselves that well. But seriously how hard down are you supposed to push then, I feel like I'm going to break the MoBo..

This model MoBo has a MemOk! Feature. I was messing around with that since it indicated (through the red continuous light) I was either installed incorrectly or had incompatible ram. Le sigh

Anjelous

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
There's been a change now. I installed with only 1 of the memory sticks.

I pressed the MemOk! Light, it started flashing for maybe a minute. There was never a beep of an kind just now. And now it's back to the continuos red light that my manual indicates means incompatible/badly installed ram.

I'm starting to think this ram is just not going to work for me and that I'll have to wait and hope the set that is arriving on Tuesday will be better

plat86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
you might already know this but ill just type it anyway
when the rams out flick the little clips on the end open, they sit angled at about 45 degrees, push the ram in pushing from each end, the little clips should clip up vertically and lock into the little notches you see on the ends of the ram stick.
yes you have to push quite hard i remember seeing the motherboard flex on a few occasions doing it myself, if the boards out maybe put your hand on the underside.
to take the ram out you pull the side clips down and it pushes out itself, u hardly have to pull it out

edit: sory i just checked my p8p67 and there is only a clip on the top, and you have to use the top clip manualy but it does clip in

as for the memok button, when the computers off you hold it down or press it or something, i forget exactly and it boots up and checks the ram but since you cant see the post screen i doubt this will do anything

and your monitors set to the right input i hope lol, basic but im out of ideas
if the new ram fixes it tell me im keen to see an end to this

Anjelous

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
Yep I think this is a compatibility issue (which makes me feel a bit silly but there it is).

I have both sticks of ram correctly installed right now. There was NO beep and MemOk went through it's tuning phase for a while, which is what the manual says it will do if you insert incompatible memory, it'll try and adjust and make it work. If it doesn't work out it'll just go back to being one continuous light

Which is exactly what mine did a little while ago. So I think that's the answer. Have new ram coming on Tuesday but I don't know if I want to wait that long, I'll be going into town tomorrow and I think I'll look around for some Ripjaws ram which, I researched, is basically optimized for p67 pro mobos like mine.

Will update when I have news, appreciate all the help so far :)

plat86

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
i lookd at the video, ram should probly be in the a1 slot (the one closest to the cpu) and by the looks of it the white clip at the top of the ram you have in dosent look like its all the way in