Amd fx-8150 overheating problem

hey people first time poster here,

im having a problem with over heating on my new fx cpu..

first off i cleaned the stock fan off with some isp. alcohol and applied some thermal grease but i used almost a gram on it later to find out i used WAY to much cause it was hitting 56c on BF3 i did research and found out the problem (now note i am using the stock fan witch came with it) so i ordered some arctic silver ceramic paste so i cleaned the CPU off again and the fan with alcohol and applied just a little more than a grain of rice size and spread it around evenly with a credit card on the CPU now im getting 36c idle and really im too nervous to play a game with that kind of idle any ideas??

thanx for the help

BTW my case is a NZXT Phantom with the stock fans

Colt
11 answers Last reply
More about 8150 overheating problem
  1. Did you overclock the CPU with that temps?
  2. no stock at 3.60 ghz i changed the cel to fer now cause im more familar with F temps and its sitting at 90F
  3. Play a game, and then check the temps. The CPU should throttle before hurting itself, and a little overheating a couple times for troubleshooting won't hurt it. Just check temps constantly! Also, I do the size of a pea, not rice.

EDIT: Also, make sure the HSF is on correctly. All sides tightened.
  4. system specs

Mainboard : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M5A99X EVO
    Chipset : ATI RD9x0
    Processor : AMD FX 8150 @ 3913MHz
    Physical Memory : 8192MBDDR3-SDRAM
    Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Hard Disk : Seagate ST325031 0AS SATA Disk Device (250GB)
    Hard Disk : Seagate ST350041 8AS SATA Disk Device (500GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive : TCN LQJKDMVOT
    DVD-Rom Drive : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7221S
    Monitor Type : Asus VE249 - 24 inches
    Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
    Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    DirectX : Version 11.00
    Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9
  5. tried it max was 138F in bf3
  6. 56c is actually fine for load with the stock cooler.

BTW 138f is 58c.
  7. what is the danger level then?
  8. Coltrix4996 said:
    what is the danger level then?

I believe the maximum operating temp for that part, according to AMD, is 61 degrees Celsius.

And Jimmysmitty is quite correct. 56c is not unusual for a CPU under sustained load on stock coolers.
  9. Those temps are quite alright for a stock cooler
    if you must get a new.heatsink the hyper 212 is cheap and very good
  10. thanks for everyones help
  11. Remember, temps are in C, not F. Those temps are fine. If you want a new cooler, I would suggest the Hyper 212+. Pretty good cooler, and it has room for OCing which you should do to get the moneys worth out of that CPU. As long as you have a decent video card (which you do), an OC on just about any FX CPU will improve game FPS, especially ones like BF3 that eat up CPU a lot.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Internet Service Providers