Worth upgrading a Core i7 930 to an Ivy Bridge i7 ?

I have a core i7 930, and have had it for the past 2 and a half years. I was thinking of upgrading to a Ivy Bridge CPU when it comes out.

Will I see a dramatic performance increase ?

If I do get it, I am going to overclock it, so I know that benefit will help me.
11 answers Last reply
More about worth upgrading core bridge
  1. No. Just overclock your 930.
  2. amuffin said:
    No. Just overclock your 930.

I have but I cant get it anything over 3.6Ghz
    I have the Corsair H50 CPU cooler.

The temperatures are quite high aswell, idle is around 45-50 degrees Celsius
    Full load goes up to 85-90 degrees Celsius.

I put it on 1.2850 voltage, which is quite low and still getting pretty hot temps.

I have seen people with the same rig as me get up to 4.2Ghz and had these temps on 4.2Ghz

Im only on 3.6Ghz

I done have the best motherboard either.

gigabyte x58a-ud3r
  3. Get a better cooler, or go real water cooling with a beginner xspc rasa kit. It is much cheaper than spending 400-500 dollars for a new mobo and cpu.
  4. amuffin said:
    Get a better cooler, or go real water cooling with a beginner xspc rasa kit. It is much cheaper than spending 400-500 dollars for a new mobo and cpu.

I used to have the Noctua NH-D14 and that was supposed to be nearlly as good as water cooling and that still gave me bad temps

I heard that there was a batch of bad i7 930 cpu's for overclocking and alot of people had this problem

Also expecting to get 2 7970's, so a new motherboard would do me good.
  5. Sounds like you need better thermal paste. I asked myself the same question a few weeks ago, and I have the i7 920. On Air @ 4.0ghz, Idle @ 35. 59-61 while gaming. No reason you should be idling @ 50 and 90 is too damn hot. some will say that anything over 90, and you should get worried. I try and keep my cpu and gpus below 80. Invest in a better cooler or go full liquid. Those fake closed circuit liquid coolers arent worth the money spent on making them. A DECENT Air cooler will see similar/better numbers then those intel/corsair liquid coolers. good Luck

Edit - Referenced replacing stock heatsink, having forgotten he was using a closed circuit liquid cooler.
  6. I have a 960 and a H50 as well and get around 55 on 4ghz. Aviconus is right, you need new thermal paste.
  7. aviconus said:
    Sounds like you need better thermal paste. I asked myself the same question a few weeks ago, and I have the i7 920. On Air @ 4.0ghz, Idle @ 35. 59-61 while gaming. No reason you should be idling @ 50 and 90 is too damn hot. some will say that anything over 90, and you should get worried. I try and keep my cpu and gpus below 80. Invest in a better cooler or go full liquid. Those fake closed circuit liquid coolers arent worth the money spent on making them. A DECENT Air cooler will see similar/better numbers then those intel/corsair liquid coolers. good Luck

Edit - Referenced replacing stock heatsink, having forgotten he was using a closed circuit liquid cooler.

I have good thermal paste, applied to my CPU. I used the Noctua thermal paste that came with my old Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler.

But the thing is, that the Corsair H50 is performing better than the Noctua NH-D14 in my computer.

its strange because the NH-D14 is supposed to be much better
  8. Did you apply it correctly? What case do you have?
  9. Is the cpu your bottle neck.... if not don't bother to upgarde it
  10. amuffin said:
    Did you apply it correctly? What case do you have?

Yes, I did apply it correctly and I had the Coolermaster HAF X 942 but then changed the the Antec 300 case because the HAF X catches alot of dust.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Intel i7