B75 with Ivy Bridge?

wray00

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Hi.
I'm upgrading my computer with the i5-3470 and I cannot seem to decide on the motherboard.
I want to get an Asus or Gigabyte B75 Chipset motherboard.
But I want to make sure that this chipset goes well with the cpu.
I don't want to get a motherboard with H77 chipset if I don't have to.
I won't be overclocking any component and I can do with 2 memory slots and 1xSATA III.
Also I'm on a budget.

wray00

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Got it.
But what about the brands?
Asus, Gigabyte and Asrock all have B75 chipset motherboards in the same price range, only a few bucks setting them apart, depending on the shop.
Which one would be best?
Or is it that you can't go wrong with either of them...

These are my top three choices. Asrock is making some well-made value boards.

Look at the FEATURES of these boards in your budget:
1. B75/Z77 1155 (either one)
2. HDMI
3. eSATA
4. USB3 (rear and/or front)
5. full ATX or mATX (difference is number of expansion slots and case size. mATX motherboard fits in ATX case though.)
etc.

GRAPHICS:
You have two choices:
1. use the iGPU inside the CPU (via the motherboards DVI for example)
2. use an addon graphics card instead (the HD2500 graphic in the CPU is just fine for basic tasks but not gaming)

The differences are so minor, it's just best to get the board that is the best value (1155-> Z77 or B75).

*Again, if you use an addon video card the VIDEO OUTPUTS on the motherboard aren't used. However, if you don't play video games then use the iGPU (inside the CPU). In the case of using the iGPU this is how the outputs are generally used:
1) VGA (older monitors, some HDTV PC inputs)
2) DVI (monitors, most common input)
3) HDMI (HDTV's, some monitors)

USB3:
Most USB3 on value motherboards is just on the REAR of the board, however if you DO get one with front USB3 case outputs remember the CASE must also have USB3 support at the front.

wray00

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Because of the tight budget I'll still be using my old sata 2 hdd, so the sata 3 will be resting comfortably until I get maybe an SSD. Also I can get along fine with two 2 usb 3.0 ports. I've never even used one before.
So I've decided on Asus P8B75-M LX PLUS.
Initially I was planning on getting the Gtx 650, but with the money I'm saving on the motherboard I want to upgrade to the Gtx 650 Ti, which I think is a very very good video card considering the price the performance and the power consumption.
But, is the motherboard that I chose good enough to take on the cpu and video card?
I'm also getting 8gb of ram and a new psu so I can't afford to get anything beyond a B75 chipset and I really want that Gtx 650 Ti...

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
If budget permits, I would get the 7850 and here is why.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/549?vs=681

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($56.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($33.84 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $425.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-12 17:30 EST-0500)

I recommend you get a graphics card with 2GB of Video RAM, not 1GB if possible.

The HD7850 is a far better value IMO. Here's my two recommendations (one is cheaper but 1GB only):

$165 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004

$225 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121650

If your budget is incredibly tight, I recommend the 1GB model however I'm really not certain how that will affect some games.

Example:
I ran Skyrim on a 1GB HD5870 and it ran close to full settings at 60FPS (no HD texture pack).

However, when I upgraded to my GTX680 I monitored VRAM (Video memory) usage and it peaked at 1.5GB so the game will run a little better if you have 2GB.

Cheers.

Couldn't update...
*When buying any graphics card, please note:
a) the VRAM amount (i.e. I recommend 2GB if possible)
b) the cooling solution (reference coolers not recommended)
c) the COMMENTS and RATINGS

Cheers

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
vRAM only has a major effect when resolution is increase above 1080p (and Skyrim was the only significant difference).

Look at the second chart from the link below.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6359/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-review/6

Stock coolers are fine on video cards. Most cards have a max temp upwards of 100C. If you get the temps this high (not likely) you are overclocking much too high or your card is defective.

Comments and ratings are hit and miss. I have seen reviews about some of the best products out their and still have seen some the have to be RMA'd. It is like this for all components, usually you have good results and very few times you have bad luck.

InvalidError

Titan

Reference designs with the HSF completely shrouded with linear airflow across the card's length and rear exhaust work specially well if the rest of the case is setup for positive pressure to assist the GPU's fan and maximize exhaust through the GPU vent.

Most cases however have too few (if any) intake fans and too many exhaust fans which creates negative pressure inside the case and works against the GPU's fan (not exhausting as much hot air as they could) on those reference designs which makes them perform worse than they should.

wray00

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

I agree. The 7850 is better.
Thing is, in my country, at least the pc components, are much more expensive. So for this configuration I would have to pay approximately $630.
With the Gtx 650 ti the total goes up to $590. I would have to wait another month to get the 7850.
But I think the 650 ti will suit me just fine and I would rather invest in something else, maybe a new display.
I've also looked at a lot of benchmarks, comparisons, reviews, comments and videos of the Gtx in the last couple of weeks. I've seen that it can play any game at 1080p with the highest settings, tweaking the AA and other settings like that to get higher fps.

Okay,
To make it easy, my advice is get one from:
Asus, EVGA, or Gigabyte. The frequency varies as well and NOISE.

Two recommendations:
The following cards are picked based on prices at NEWEGG USA (yours will vary):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125447 (*1GB VRAM)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125446 (*2GB VRAM)

The reasons:
a) higher than average frequency
b) good cooling solution
c) reasonably priced
d) no known issues

*If you can afford it, I recommend the 2GB model. (unless you have 32-bit Windows). It is actually difficult to determine how much difference the 2GB vs 1GB will make but since it's about a $15 difference I strongly recommend it. It should eliminate SOME types of stuttering in games that can utilize more than 1GB such as Skyrim.

Other:
1) You may wish to investigate which games look and perform BETTER with your hardware. Games like Far Cry 3 are incredibly demanding.

Again, the biggest mistake most people make is cranking up quality settings and having a sluggish/stuttering experience with great graphics rather than a smoother experience with good graphics.

2) If you'd like a LIST of games that run well on your system, give me the TYPE (genre) and I can send you that. Steam often has sales, and some games will be cheaper than others.

3) NVidia has an upcoming tool (closed Beta) that I tested called "GeForce Experience"; it analyzes your system and can apply the optimal settings so that you hit 40FPS. It has its Pros and Cons but something worth looking into later.

4) Avoid PHYSX in general as the performance hit is incredibly huge. Borderlands 2 you'd need to experiment with but I don't recommend HIGH PHYSX with the GTX650Ti (quality vs smooth frame rate remember).

CHEERS.

wray00

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
I've already placed my order.
I couldn't get the gigabyte even if I wanted to. Out of stock.
So I got the Palit 1 gb version with no overclocking.
I've read Palit cards are good too...
Anyway for the time being I'm using a 1360x768 maximum display so hitting high frame rates at high/ultra with this resolution isn't going to be a problem. And when it's time to upgrade my display I'll settle for medium/high settings at 1080p to get higher fps. I like smoother gameplay to better graphics.
Also I've looked at the 2gb version and it was exceeding my budget.
Thanks for your suggestions!

Good luck,
And remember that high frame rates are better than high quality and stuttering. Where possible adjust quality to synch at 60FPS.

Don't forget RadeonPro to force support in games that don't have native:
- VSYNC (i.e. Witcher 1)
- anti-aliasing (i.e. Mass Effect 1)